black bean & corn salad

June 21, 2010

I posted here about grocery shopping and cooking when my fiancé and I lived in Belize.  I mentioned my go-to black bean and corn salad that is healthy, easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser.

When I made it in Belize, I’d add whatever vegetables we had in the refrigerator.  Pictured below, I’d included cucumber and red onion.

I thought I’d keep it really simple last night since we had a lot of food.

I started by rinsing 2 cans of Goya black beans and 1.5 cans of Whole Foods 365 brand corn.

Then I sliced some red and orange bell peppers.

And chopped them into smaller pieces.

I added the bell peppers to the beans and corns.

Isn’t it pretty?  Green bell pepper is great, too but we had enough green in the form of guacamole. :)

I added the juice of 2 whole limes.

I don’t follow a recipe per say but after the lime juice, I add a generous amount of red wine vinegar, cumin & salt to taste.

Serve chilled as a side or as a dip with chips.  My favorite are Guiltless Gourmet Baked Blue Corn tortilla chips.

The best part is the leftovers because the flavor intensifies after it sits in the lime juice + red wine vinegar combo.

Do you have a go-to healthy, easy to make, crowd-pleasing recipe?

Katherine: What About Summer? June 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love things that taste good as leftovers! great

bo June 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm

This recipe is perfect as a stand alone. But, add salty chips, homemade margaritas, grilled fajitas, re-fried beans, chocolate brownies and vanilla bean ice cream…
now you’ve really got something!!
congrats to you and Bee,
xoxo

spabettie June 21, 2010 at 11:12 pm

VERY pretty, and it sounds delicious.

happy there is no cilantro in there… (yes, I am one of those!)

I have a great pasta salad (gf penne) that everyone loves… tomatoes, fresh basil, corn, garlic… hmm… sounds sorta familiar… :)

LiveForTheRun June 22, 2010 at 7:29 am

I LOVE black bean and corn salad, black beans make everything better:) I can make a low-fat “ranch ball” using low fat cream cheese and adding in a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (dry powder). You mix and top with paprika, easy peasy.

dorrybird June 22, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Oh that sounds dee-lish. I love ranch powder mix – I used to sprinkle it on popcorn!

Lynn July 19, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hi Dorry! I found your blog via HEAB :) So now I’m reading your back posts and catching up. Love love love it thus far. I am a yogini as well and a clean(ish) eater w some disordered eating(your post about being too thin, but not knowing if it was “anorexia” resonated deeply. So I am really excited to keep reading here! Slowly but surely I am getting up to date :)
Anyway, on to my reason for posting: I have never tried red wine vinegar but see it called for in so many recipes. Is it vinegar-y? Like, does it have that super-tang to it? If so, I don’t know if it’s for me. Also, I am picking up some Sriracha next trip to the store! My husby loves it, I’ve never tried it. I don’t care for Tobasco sauce (or any kind of set-your-mouth-on-fire hot sauce) but want to try some flavorful hot sauce, so I’m super excited! Ok, off to read more!

dorrybird July 19, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hi Lynn! I’m so glad you found my blog. I LOVE HEAB! :) It’s great to connect with people who have similar experiences and backgrounds. I love red wine vinegar and use it often but it is definitely tangy. I love Sriracha! It brings a good spiciness to so many of my favorite dishes, especially Asian-inspired meals. Thanks for saying hi! Be sure to keep in touch. :)