blogger-inspired dinner

July 15, 2010

Today I’m hungry for cooking new recipes. I’ll admit that I’m not a big experimenter in the kitchen. I prepare myself a handful of go-to meals that are simple and filling that I happen to love.  My fiancé loves to cook.  He’s up for a challenge in the kitchen and I often leave the cooking to him.  However, after reading healthy living and food-related blogs over the past 6 months, I started bookmarking a number of recipes that I plan to make. One of my first blogger-inspired meals happened last night!

1st up: Emily’s black bean vegan burgers:

The recipes make 6 burgers but I cut it in half and made 3.

Started with some rolled oats and pepitas.

Next up grated carrots.

All together in the Cuisinart.

Whir around.

All the yummy spices + olive oil.

In they go.

Rinse & drain.  Add 3/4 to the Cuisinart.

The mix.

Fold in remaining black beans.

Form patties & place on non-stick baking sheet.

Place in 300 degree oven for 40 minutes, flipping once.

Done deal.

We had a refreshing rum cocktail during our food prep.

Next up: Kath’s slow & low potatoes:

We had 1 red potato & 2 sweet potatoes.

All sliced up.

Drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper. Baked for 40 minutes at 300 degrees (with burgers), then 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Our favorite condiments.  I mix Sriracha into my ketchup.  Love that heat!

My plate minus the condiments. I ate almost twice that many potatoes.

We both LOVED the black bean burger.  Great texture outside, dense & flavorful inside.  And the potatoes?  Let’s just say I’ll be making these often!

For dessert: BANANA SOFT SERVE!

I’ve seen this on many blogs but was recently inspired by Gena.

So simple.  Frozen bananas.

Into the Cuisinart.  Whir whir whir.

His with Butterfinger, mine with Peanut Butter Puffins.

It was amazing!  I knew it would be.  I just can’t believe it took me this long to try it.  Please make some for yourself  immediately.  :)

There are so many recipes I’m excited to try out in the coming weeks.  Billy and I are in the process of registering for our wedding and the timing couldn’t be more perfect to acquire some new kitchen gadgets.

Do you make recipes you’ve found on other blogs?  What is your favorite shared recipe?

Heather July 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

only all the time! Angela at Oh She Glows has a really great Spelt burger recipe…i LOVE it!

LiveForTheRun July 15, 2010 at 11:02 am

Was an inspiring post! What a fun way to make dinner. It’s one thing to read about a recipe another to try it out for yourself.

I learned about overnight oats via the interwebs, talk about life changing!

Marci July 15, 2010 at 11:54 am

If only my husband ate black beans, sweet potatoes, or bananas…I can experiment when he isn’t home for dinner. All looks great! The bananas have been on my list, and maybe I’ll try the black bean burgers with recipe cut in half, or freeze them.

Erin @ A Girl and Her Mutt July 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Look at you go! I’m so impressed with all your cooking. I need to look into a better food processor. My soft serve bananas are GROSS looking right now. ;)

Susan July 15, 2010 at 1:50 pm

It must be the summer weather because I’m seeing banana softserve everywhere these days!! Maybe it’s a sign?? I haven’t tried it yet. I’m one of those weirdos who gobbles up my bananas so quick they never make it to the freezer ;)

dorrybird July 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Please try it! I feel the same way about bananas…I eat them before I’d ever need to freeze them. But yesterday I bought a ripe bunch just for freezing. Another reason I love bananas: they are one of the less expensive fruits. :)

spabettie July 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I *LOVE* peanut butter puffins and I put them on my banana soft serve too! :)

We also add sriracha to out kethcup here. :)

emily styles July 15, 2010 at 6:13 pm

okay this may sound crazy but….i froze 2 bananas a couple weeks ago to try this out…..1) are they still good after 2 weeks? 2) how the heck do i peel it? do i have to thaw it a bit?

dorrybird July 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Do it! Right now! I’m sure they’re still good. Mine were only frozen for about a day when I put them in the Cuisinart so they weren’t like rock hard frozen. Also, I peeled mine and cut them into chunks before I froze them. :) Maybe let them sit on the counter for a few minutes then try to peel them…then put them in your food processor. Such a tasty treat. :)

Run Sarah July 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I love all the recipes you tried – great idea to top the soft serve with cereal, I can never have a smoothie or ice cream bowl without some sort of crunchy topping.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I really want to try making black bean burgers, seems so simple.