A Family Af-FAIR

October 13, 2010

As I mentioned yesterday, after our FUN 2-mile run, we headed to the State Fair of Texas to meet my mom, my oldest sister, brother-in-law and 2 of my 3 nieces.  We usually go the the Fair for the Texas-OU game, but we were out of town this year.

Last year at the game:

This year, I sported my Healthy Living Summit tee.

My nieces had some awesome tees as well.

We all need a bird shirt and one that reads, “I’m AWESOME”.

Then there was this guy’s shirt:

Moving along.

It was a gorgeous day. We arrived right at 10:00AM when the gates opened.

Food guide and map.  Coupon stand.  You must have coupons at the Fair.

First things first: Billy needed his Fletcher’s Corny Dog.

Billy explained the importance of the mustard technique.

We headed back to meet the fam at the kids’ farmland.

Some important lessons for the day.

(HUH?  Who writes this stuff?)

Uncle Billy.

The grand champion pig, goat and lamb. All rather modest in their honorable position.

Then we headed indoors to the Children’s Medical Center Barnyard.

A bit CHAOTIC.  I feel sad for these animals in such tight quarters.  I can compare it to a birthday party for fifty 3-5 year-old children at Chuck E. Cheese.

Several new baby animals, born in the past week.  Calf and Longhorn.  Hook ‘Em!

They wanted nothing to do with us.  I don’t blame them. ;)

The guy on the right was aggressive.  Or angry.  Maybe just hungry, I’m not sure.

A donkey family.

And some friends from down under.  Just chilling.  “Get out of my living room, folks.”

Snoozing piglets.

Finally back outside to the sunshine, with a mission for more food.  Fried food.  The State Fair of Texas is known for being a fried food factory.

Chicken Fried Bacon and Fried Cheesecake.

Fried Queso, Fried Guacamole (say it ain’t so!) and Country Fried Ribs.

This year, the Texas Fried FRITOS Pie won the “best taste” award, while fried beer was the newest debuted deep-fried dish.

Billy ordered the “best taste” award and was very disappointed.  It was hollow, fried dough with barely any chili inside and he said there was no sign or taste of a Frito.

My nieces went for a plain ole hotdog with ketchup.

And I ate a Peanut Butter & Jelly Larabar.  That’s how I roll.

We stopped in the General Store.  Texas is a very proud state.  GO TEXAN.

Time for an ice cream.  My 5 (almost 6!) year-old niece followed the blog while we were traveling.  She’s the best.

Which turned into this.

Then we came upon Big Tex.  This tall fellow has been around for almost 60 years.

Big Tex, what’s with that flat bottom?

The Fair has a concert stage and of course, the Cotton Bowl.

Can I wash my hands in there?

Next up, the Super Midway.  And my favorite picture of my niece with Uncle Billy.

Last year, Billy conquered the wobbly ladder game and won me this frog.

photo 2 photo 1

This year, he tried.  And tried again.  But it just wasn’t in the cards.  A+ for effort!

DSC05952

He settled on a cheeseburger for his consolation prize.

DSC06037

A ride for the girls on the carousel.

More food stands.

My niece wanted to see the alligators.  As experienced fairgoers, we knew better.

Let’s save our coupons for cotton candy!

And Bee couldn’t resist a funnel cake.

There’s only one way to end a trip to the State Fair of Texas:  Spend all remaining coupons on Salt Water Taffy.  It’s a big deal around here.

We spent 3 hours at the Fair and had a blast watching my nieces take in all the sights, sounds, tastes, rides and energy.   I imagine they both fell asleep in the car on the way home.  I know Billy almost did.

Today is a cross-training day so we have plans to rollerblade this afternoon.

Do you like fair food?  Which fried food item would you be curious to sample?

Rebekah @ Rebeltarian October 13, 2010 at 9:42 am

I went to the fair last weekend, and totally caved and got the fried oreos…I just couldn’t resist. I admire your restraint!
Rebekah @ Rebeltarian recently posted..My life in food

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 9:58 am

Let me say – I think it’s great to sample fried fair food if you have a craving for it! For me though, it’s not about restraint. I can’t stomach anything deep-fried and have no desire for it. Makes me ill.

Shannon, Tropical Eats October 13, 2010 at 9:45 am

this whole post made me so happy!

that mans shirts “will sell wife for beer” made me literally lol. I can’t believe she let him wear that!!!!

lovin all of the fair food :)
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Way Too Easily Amused

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 9:56 am

I know, right?? And their son is with them. What a good role model. ;) LOL.

Lisa @ I'm an Okie October 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

So sad to see you are a Texas fan! I’m sorry :).

haha j/k. I’m an OU graduate–couldn’t help myself!

I love me some Fletchers corn dogs! They are pretty dang good.

I always try and get a corn dog and an indian taco at the fair!
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..These are some of my confessions

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

LOL – I have to admit – I’m kind of a fair weather fan/fan by marriage. Billy is pretty much obsessed!

But I didn’t go to UT. So you and I can still be friends. :)

lindsay October 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

hello BIG TEX!!! So fun! I love going to the fair with my niece and nephews. SO much more excitement. :)

lindsay October 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

and yet again I forgot my domain. hehe.

lindsay October 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

No fried twinkies for Billy? Those always scared me!

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 5:10 pm

He went with the funnel cake! But I think last year he had some fried Snickers, maybe? Or Oreos…

Nichole October 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

Don’t mess with Texas!!! What an amazing fair, outdoes all the ones I’ve been too.

I love animals, but hate seeing them like this sometimes, but hopefully they got lots of good petting.

The donkey’s cross, so cool!

These are some action images, love it!

I have never been a fan of funnel cakes, can’t tell you why, but I do love a good corn dog.
Nichole recently posted..The Little Things

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

The Texas Fair really is HUGE and kind of amazing as far as fairs go. I think y’all should come to Dallas next year and we’ll all go together! :) I think the animals are in good hands – I tried to do more research on what happens to them at night, etc but I couldn’t find much. I loved the Donkey family – so cute!

Kristina @ spabettie October 13, 2010 at 11:24 am

I would not have been able to pass up the cheesecake. and I may have tried to talk someone into making my Lara bar deep fried. ;) I kid…. but not about the cheesecake.

there are some crazy medicines at the alternative med clinic I used to manage… made out of pig pituitary. so glad I don’t need to take those. but cows give us things to make cars? oh, wait… you are in Texas, where cars have the HORNS on front… :D HUZZAH !

XXO looks like so much fun. Bird and Bee are the cutest.
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..maple donut french toast

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm

LOL – I know, I get a lot of sh*t for not eating fried food. I let Billy have my share. ;)

I love that you were able to help me decipher the important farm lessons! You are good for everything, did you know that? xoxoxoxo

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I have only been to the fair a couple of times in my whole life. It’s not my favorite place.

Your pictures are so cute though – and I love the commentary from the kangaroo – so funny:) lol.

Glad you had a good time with family!
Candice @ ChiaSeedMe recently posted..getting real

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I have to agree – not my favorite place, either – for a number of reasons. But I seem to go once almost every year. And by the time I leave, I’m ready for a shower…and some fresh food. :)

Tiff Munster October 13, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I allow myself ONE funnel cake a year! and it is usually for the Wells Street Festival here in Chicago that takes place outside our front door on our street. Rick got one for me for Breakfast at this year’s fest, along with a coffee–what a love!
Btw- I want that baby Donkey. can you please send him up here for me????………please?

dorrybird October 13, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Funnel cake + coffee sounds like the perfect combo! We fell in love with the Donkey family – that little guy was only a couple of weeks old and so adorable. I’ll have Billy dress in disguise and go donkey-nap him for you. Then we’ll drive him to Chicago.. :) xoxo

Camille October 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I love fairs!
It looks like you had a great time!
Camille recently posted..Start Your Day With A Smile

Missy Miller October 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Who writes that stuff?
I have four words for you.
The Other White Meat.
Hahahaha
Or maybe those guys behind the new HFCS commercials…..”comes from corn…just fine in moderation”

Anyways this post was adorable and hysterical. Had so much fun reading.
Fair food I might try….hmmm…I saw on the food network a spiralized potato on a skewer…hard to descrive but looked really good. Mostly I just wanted to make my own healthier version, though.
But I might go there if the moment presented itself.Best link I can find..kind of long:skip to 2:17 to see finsihed product.
Missy Miller recently posted..Stop Grabbing Your Nuts!

JenATX October 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

Big Tex needs to do some squats! haha.
My fav fair food is a big ole’ corn dog! Which is sad because I no longer eat meat lol.. I had a hard time finding anything to eat at the fair this year, it seems like all the fried desserts were hiding from us! I did get to have a candied apple though, which was delicious. I also love funnel cake, but I can only have a few bites otherwise I get nauseous. Seeing these pics makes me want to go back for round two