Pros, Cons & Pizza

October 22, 2010

Thanks for your comments on yesterday’s post about moving.  I received some good words of advice and found out that many readers really don’t like moving. :)  I understand that if you’ve moved from place to place, it can be nice to settle down.

During college, I moved five times before returning to Dallas, then moved another 4 times before Billy and I moved to Belize last October.  I’m know I’m not alone.  Moving during your 20s is about as common as changing jobs during your 20s.

We spent yesterday afternoon continuing the search for a new home.  We saw so many different types of rental properties.  Houses in family-friendly neighborhoods…

to lofts in trendy Uptown.

1 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, 1 & 2 bathrooms, washers & dryers, laundry facilities, fitness centers, pools, balconies, storage closets, gas or electric.  Whew.

A stop at Jamba Juice for some fuel and to make a pros & cons list for our candidates.  We had a lot to consider and wanted to make the best decision.

The determining factors were a short-term lease offer, washer & dryer, 2 bathrooms, great location and the right amount of space.  We’ll sign the lease at 11:30AM. :)

We were both craving pizza for dinner, not in the mood to cook and we aren’t big fans of delivery.  We had a 20% off coupon for a new, casual Italian restaurant called Farnatchi and we’d heard good reviews from friends so off we went.

We each started with a salad.  Caesar for Billy, including tangy banana peppers.

And a house salad for me which was fresh spring mix, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, kalamata olives and a perfectly blended balsamic vinaigrette.  Delish.

Farnatchi offers small, medium and large pizzas.  We each ordered a small (9 inches).

Billy’s with pepperoni, sausage, jalapenos and basil and Parmesan.

Mine with yellow squash, zucchini, artichokes, caramelized onions and bell peppers.

A closer look.

Halfway through.  One piece to go.  Gone.  It was delicious.

We both loved this place.  Crispy crust, fresh toppings, authentic Pomodoro sauce.

And what a deal.  2 salads + 2 pizzas = under $30 before tip.

We are really looking forward to being able to walk more in our new neighborhood.   There are many restaurants and coffee shops within a few blocks of our new place.

Do you live in a pedestrian-friendly, urban neighborhood?

This was really important to Billy and I in making our decision because while we love spending a night at home, we tend to be extroverts and enjoy the energy of a city.

Do you have a favorite restaurant in walking distance from your home?

I think we are going to have some new favorites but we’re also really looking forward to cooking meals together in our new kitchen.

Happy Friday friends!

Kristina @ spabettie October 22, 2010 at 9:09 am

we live on a couple acres on a road with no streetlights or through traffic. it is extremely peaceful and we love it… we can walk for exercise, but not really to GET anywhere! :D

we have a favorite neighborhood pub within biking distance, everyone knows us there (one of the chefs gives Basil a box of bacon EVERY time we go!!)

Sounds like you picked a place?? YAY ! Excited to hear more! XO

HAPPY WEEKEND ! <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Thomas Keller’s Bouchon

Nichole October 22, 2010 at 9:24 am

The only people that know how to stop at a crosswalk are the elderly. Every time I run I can count on one hand the close encounters.

SEND me Jamba Juice! please:)
Nichole recently posted..Work Hard Play Hard

Camille October 22, 2010 at 9:36 am

Congrats on signing your lease! That is so exciting!
I feel very lucky that right outside my apartment there is a bike path that leads all the way downtown and to campus. I love it!
Camille recently posted..Nearly Perfect Day

claire October 22, 2010 at 9:53 am

I live in the city right now, but it is not necessarily the safest. I do love a local restaurant though that is within walking distance. I am kind of excited to move to LA though where we are living in the canyons but close enough to the city for times we want to go out.
claire recently posted..west-bound

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 22, 2010 at 10:03 am

we live in an area that is easy to bike to certain places, but not anything that is super simple to walk to. but i like it that way…i appreciate being away from TOO much foot traffic :)

lindsay October 22, 2010 at 11:07 am

I love a good gourmet pizza! We have a really good sushi place near us thats fun to walk to!

Can’t wait to see pics of the new place!

Jenna October 22, 2010 at 8:46 pm

you know where we live.. and though very SUBurban, living in the hills by the lake is very very pedestrian-friendly.. we just found a new spot right by our house that is a lakeside (on the water) path, rest area and perfect fishing spot for daddy and his girls. EXCITING!! we don’t really walk to our shops, restaurants, etc. but we could.. there are 3 adorable (1 very lovely) restaurants that we really enjoy being so close to.
that pizza looks fantastic! you’ve inspired me to have a home-made pizza night for the fam.. xoxo

JenATX October 22, 2010 at 11:07 pm

So this post reminded me of an episode of House Hunters! hehe
And yes, there is a place w/in walking distance from my apartment complex. Home Slice pizza on South Congress (if you havent tried this place in austin you must, its delish & their italian chef salad is so good).

PS- things are taking a turn for the better in my life, so thank you for the thoughtful words the other day :)

Lisa @ I'm an Okie October 23, 2010 at 1:01 am

Love the zuchinni and squash on the pizza! looks so cute.

And no, my area is not pedestrian friendly at all. I’m not sure any of of Oklahoma is!
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..flashback to flashbacks &amp binge shopping

Giada October 23, 2010 at 1:59 am

My home is in a walking friendly neighborhood. I chose it for that reason, and because there are a wide variety of recreational opportunities near by. That helps me with my goal to live a healthy lifestyle with exercise. Trying to eat properly is more of a challenge for me. The pizza looks yummy and healthful.

Lauren October 23, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Davis is super pedestrian/biker friendly. Everyoneee rides their bike everywhere. And there are many cute restaurants near our house, but thats probably because Davis is so tiny. It’s cute though.

I rarely want pizza, but when the craving hits, it hits hard!
Lauren recently posted..Sweet Potato Apple Bread!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run October 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Walkability, all the way!! I was honestly going crazy living out in the ‘burbs, and Could NOT wait to get back to city life. Total extrovert, enjoying nearby parks, restaurants, bars, and Whole Foods! :) Life is good.
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Friday Food- Asparagus Three Ways