Thanksvegan Dishes

November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving was a perfect opportunity for me to share some of my favorite cuisine with my family.  While our table contained all of the traditional Thanksgiving fare, I wanted to bring a quinoa dish for the main source of protein in my meal.  I made a dish inspired by Whole Foods with balsamic vegetables.

I used red quinoa.  I thoroughly rinsed and cooked 1.5 cups of dry quinoa with 3 cups of water, the same way you cook rice.  I ended up using about 3/4 of the cooked quinoa for this recipe when I realized how much I made.

The lineup of ingredients for my recipes.

A simple marinade of balsamic vinegar + Herbs de Provence.

I tossed the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms in the marinade, then sautéed the veggie trio in a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat.

Next, I mixed the balsamic veggies with the cooked quinoa.

This was so easy and a really good mix of flavor and texture.

*When I find a recipe from another blog or website, I will simply link to the recipe in bold in order to give proper credit.  I will always add my substitutions to any recipes I make so you know how I reached my end result.

I looked to The Front Burner Blog for another vegan protein dish.  I decided to make a variation of Emily’s French Lentil and Green Bean Salad.

I used the 2 cans of lentils I had in my pantry and rinsed them thoroughly.  Then I snapped and steamed a pound of fresh green beans.

I followed Emily’s ingredients for the dressing except I used olive oil instead of grapeseed oil.  I forgot to add the lemon zest until after I poured the mixture, but I added it on top and just mixed it in really well.

The Dijon, lemon zest and red wine vinegar make this dressing tangy and delicious.  I was busy eating and chatting with my family and forgot to snap a final photo.  Camera

After my *success a few weeks ago with Healthy Cookie Bites, I looked to Angela’s vegan dessert recipes at Oh She Glows and decided to make a variation of her Pumpkin Pie Banana Chunk Oatmeal Cookies. *success = we ate them in 3 days.

My substitutions:  I used whole wheat flour instead of spelt flour, I left out the walnuts and the cacao nibs, added a ridiculous amount of dark chocolate chips and used 1/3 cup agave nectar to sweeten the mixture rather than using maple syrup. While I used a flax egg in the healthy cookie bites, I used a chia egg in this recipe.

Dry ingredients.  Wet ingredients.  Combined.

Each cookie reminded me of a tiny loaf of moist banana bread with just enough pumpkin flavor, bursting with melty dark chocolate chips and chunks of banana.

It has changed my life to bake without eggs and dairy.  I don’t end up with a terrible stomach ache.  These cookies are a sweet treat with heart healthy ingredients.  Win.

Did you cook or bake anything yesterday for Thanksgiving?

If so, did you make an old favorite or try something new?

Kristina @ spabettie November 26, 2010 at 10:38 am

we had a mix of new and old favorites… I made my pumpkin ice cream and some pecan bites to go with… very untraditional dessert but everyone LOVED it… I usually make a cheesecake and some kind of pie, which I usually don’t bother telling people is vegan. ;)

we have an incredible and unique dressing recipe in our family, and this year I made it with gluten free bread and it turned out FANTASTIC. I am so happy I was able to get it the same fabulous flavor. it’s amazing.

Jason is always on mashed potato duty (he’s very good at it!), and this year made an Alton Brown recipe with infused garlic. WOW.

all of your creations look delicious… and the best part of vegan cookies? you can eat the batter… ;)

hope you have a wonderful weekend <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving !

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

I made Angela’s Sweet Potato Casserole and it was HEAVENLY. Seriously, that woman can do no wrong in the kitchen. I’m even making another casserole of it today for a party I’m going to!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..My Thanksgiving

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

oh my gosh, i made SO MUCH STUFF!!! i did my first pie crust EVER and it was delicious!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Sweet Rum Pecan Glaze

dorrybird November 26, 2010 at 11:42 am

Mmmm, pumpkin ice cream! It sounds like y’all had a really delicious menu. I love mashed potatoes. Can’t get enough. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too. It’s finally cold in Dallas and it feels holidayish which is nice. I wish we could go meet for tea. Is that too much to ask?? ;)

xo

dorrybird November 26, 2010 at 11:43 am

I agree! I’m excited to try more of her recipes – will have to give the sweet potato casserole a whirl. I hope you have fun at your party today and a wonderful weekend!

dorrybird November 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

You are a whiz in the kitchen! I’m sure a lot of very fortunate people had the pleasure of eating everything you cooked. And congrats on the pie crust! That’s a big deal!!

lindsay November 26, 2010 at 11:50 am

yea, that looks awesome. My curry sweet potato mash was vegan and it was the favorite dish. Nobody guessed it was vegan. I love that!
LC

Nicci (NiftyEats) November 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Great recipes, everything looks great!

JenATX November 26, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I was SUPPOSED to cook with my mom and Aunt on Wednesday but they got started without me :( i was really upset because I was so looking forward to taking part in the activity. I did make the gravy though and everyone loved it :)

Kate@andwhenshesays November 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I am totally going to use your quinoa recipe for a holiday dinner next month! I love the idea of balsamic veggies – such a simple but so tasty! I made a quinoa dish yesterday with butternut squash, dried cranberries, toasted almonds, rosemary & sage, but I like the idea of something a bit more savory and this would fit the bill!
Kate@andwhenshesays recently posted..30 Days of Thanks – Day 26

Missy Miller November 27, 2010 at 10:08 am

Hope you had a happy Thanksvegan!

I am pretty sure Imma tackle that quinoa. Looks managable for a novice like me. I need more grains in my world — which is..um..complicated.
Thanks for the inspo!

Ps — You totally just “whipped up a batch of vegan cookies” (0:
Missy Miller recently posted..Lots of Family and Split Pea Content…&amp Spam

dorrybird November 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm

The balsamic veggies were so tasty! Your quinoa dish sounds delicious, too. I love toasted almonds in quinoa – what a perfect way to combine protein and healthy fat. It makes a perfect side dish for everyone or a main dish for a vegetarian – love it.

dorrybird November 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm

The quinoa is so easy to make! And I think you’d really like it because it’s so versatile (can be used for sweet & savory dishes), makes for great leftovers, and it’s not as filling as pasta or rice…but with a significant amount of protein – win!

The cookies were so good and also really easy. I’m getting into this baking thing just in time for the holidays. :)

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run November 28, 2010 at 8:07 am

Quinoa always surprises me with quantity once it plumps up! A little goes a Long way ;)

We didn’t do anything traditional, but we Did have a pumpkin pie and I tried my hand at some Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Both successful :)

Hope you guys had a great holiday!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Thinking Ahead- Optimistically I