Rocked the Rock, Part 1

December 6, 2010

We ran our 1st race yesterday, Dallas’ White Rock Half Marathon. It’s so hard to believe it’s over. Our 7 weeks of training flew by and I loved (almost) every minute.

I laid out all of my gear on Saturday night including my XL shirt from the little boys section at Target. I LOVED this shirt and $9.99 is a hard price to beat.

Billy was prepared in his way, too.

We woke up Sunday morning at 5:44AM. I made us a cup of hot tea and a light pre-race breakfast. Billy blasted his race playlist to get amped up. I’m sure our neighbors were appreciative. The race started at 8:00AM and we ate around 6:15AM.

Our friend Nick came over at 6:30AM and we headed to the race around 6:45AM. It was still pretty dark outside and the lines for parking were backed up.

But the sun came up quickly and I tried to snap some photos of Billy and me.

It was freezing outside. Teeth-chattering cold. Once inside, I waited in a 35-minute line for the bathroom. Worth it. I didn’t want to have to stop during the race.

I WAS PUMPED and ready to run! Billy didn’t feel like posing.

We headed outside after a while and watched the start of the race. Again, it was freezing! There were 22,000 runners and 18 or so wave start corrals.

We slowly moved forward in the herd of people and started running just after 8:30AM. Billy and I planned to start the race together and run together until one of us changed our pace. We honestly weren’t sure what either of us would feel like since it was our first race. Constantly weaving in such a large crowd was tough.

We couldn’t get our pace below 10:00 for the first mile but we were so excited when we saw our first (and unexpected) supporters, my sister and my niece!  I cried.

There were so many spectators and I felt like I was floating. Probably because I couldn’t feel my legs since they were numb, but it didn’t bother me. Billy and I were feeling good, but it was still really crowded and hard to maintain any sort of consistent pace, so we were fluctuating from 8:30 to 9:30.

We continued to run together and the time was flying by on my Garmin. I remember looking down at 25 minutes and it felt like we’d been running for about 5.

Before I knew it, we were approaching mile 5 and I was planning to have a Gu between mile 5 and 6.  Billy looked at me with a big smile on his face and yelled, “I’m not even tired yet!” I love him. We both had a Gu and grabbed some water.

At mile 6, I saw one of my girlfriends who is an accomplished runner. She finished the same half marathon last year in 1:35! It was great to see her face. Thanks Elise!

We continued on and saw Billy’s mom around mile 7 just in time to tackle an incline. Billy was either right beside me or a few feet behind for the next mile or so. We saw my mom and her husband around mile 8 and I was ecstatic. Between seeing her and the Gu that had taken effect, I sped up and my pace around 8:15-8:30.

The marathoners split off from us at this point so the course opened up. Since I rode the course on my bike a couple of weeks ago, I knew the biggest incline of the course was approaching. I was 110% mentally prepared for it and I absolutely dominated that incline, passing people by and in my zone.

When an inkling of worry came into my head that I was using too much energy, I realized I was approaching mile 9 and I knew it was time to give it my all. I had 4 more miles left in me. I ate a couple of Gu Chomps (so tasty) and when Billy stopped for water, I carried on. It was a tiny bit sad but I knew that it was part of our deal.

The first half of our race was slower than my typical pace, but with all of the weaving and congested course, we didn’t have much choice. In order to finish under 2 hours, I figured I needed to run an 8:15-8:45 pace for the last 4 miles.  (I suck at math.)

I felt great from mile 9 to 10. When I saw the 10 mile marker, I still felt great and couldn’t believe I only had a 5K left. Was this race I’d been anticipating for so many months really coming to an end? Mile 11 was pretty tough but I managed to keep my pace. Just after mile 12, I was in the home stretch and saw 2 runners to my left speeding past me and the other half marathoners. They were the leaders of the marathon taking it home! I was in awe of their speediness. Truly phenomenal.

I was on the TV news coverage as the leaders passed me. I’m in the front left wearing a white baseball cap, black capris and blue shirt.

I looked over as I noticed them.

They were flying. My legs in the top left of the screenshot.

My legs were really tired at this point but I could see the end ahead of me and just powered forward. Running towards the finish line seems like a dream and when I crossed it, a wave of warmth and pride came over me.

My chip time: 1:55:25

I walked for about a minute but stayed near the finish line to watch for Billy. I had no idea how far behind me he might have been and I was so eager to see him! All of a sudden, he came sprinting up from behind a group of runners and I cheered SO loudly that I caused a scene! Nothing less than a scene will do for my Bee.

We hugged and cried for all of the reasons we each decided to run this race. Billy came in just about exactly 10 minutes after me at 2:05:13! I trained more diligently than he did and I’m so proud of Billy’s natural ability to achieve such a great time.

We headed inside for medals, finisher t-shirts, official photos, food and water.

medal

We found Nick who also had a great race and I kept an eye out for my friend, Marci, but unfortunately never saw her in the sea of runners. It was Marci’s first half marathon as well and she did great!  Check out her race recap here. It’s too bad we didn’t get a picture together because our outfits matched. And Billy’s mom was waiting for us as well.  I’m SO thankful for the support!

We headed to Nick’s car so I could get my iPhone and camera. The boys headed home but I stuck around to meet my sister. It was my turn to be a supporter.

This post is getting long.

Coming up:

My running gurus, Garmin stats and negative splits, more photos, more finishers, the aftermath and a guest post by Billy.

Marci December 6, 2010 at 9:34 am

Congrats on a great and speedy race to you and Billy! That’s so cool you saw the winners! I watched the recap on TV and wondered if they were finishing when you did after I knew your finish time. Pretty amazing they were twice as fast as you. My legs hurt like heck today but so worth it. Sooo, Houston or Austin Half on January 30? :)
Marci recently posted..Dallas White Rock Half Marathon Recap

Ashley Burk December 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

Congratulations Dorry & Billy! I am so proud of you two. What an amazing accomplishment and such a powerful and emotional meaning behind it for you both.

Kristina @ spabettie December 6, 2010 at 9:40 am

DORRY !! I am crying tears of joy for you!! :) :)

I am feeling all of those exhilarating feelings through you… so very proud of you, my dear friend!! I love you!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..orange energy!

Theodora December 6, 2010 at 9:41 am

CONGRATS GIRL!!! I definitely teared up :) Don’t you wish you could bottle up that omg-I’m-almost-done-and-still-feel-great feeling? Also, your time was amazing!

Jen @ She said. She said. December 6, 2010 at 9:41 am

So happy for you! What an awesome race. Congratulations!!
Jen @ She said. She said. recently posted..the race that wasn’t

Lauren December 6, 2010 at 9:46 am

Yay, I am so proud of you! What an amazing time! And congrats to Bee too, of course! I love Gu’s… they are what got me through all my triathlons
Lauren recently posted..Chocolate Muffins with a hint of coconut

Tiff Munster December 6, 2010 at 9:50 am

are your breakfast crisps those gluten-free corn wafers from Whole Foods? we have those too and we put natural peanut butter on them the same way! see – you two could move here and we could all live together, share the cooking and the cleaning – and we have the same tastes in food! congrats to you 2 for doing an amazing job!
xoxo

Tropical Eats December 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

you are my super dorry!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats on the awesome finish my dear :) so so so proud of you!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 6, 2010 at 10:51 am

I have been so excited to read this….I was thinking about you yesterday! GIRL YOU ROCKED IT!! I am super impressed. I can’t believe you ran in that temperature…my legs would have been numb too:) You were so smart to have done the course with your bike beforehand so you were prepared mentally! I am so jealous that you and Billy got to experience this race together….someday:) Great job girl!! I loved all the pics, YOU ARE FAMOUS!!! Have a great Monday and great idea on realizing the AMAZING accomplishment you just did!!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I truly am a ten year old

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 6, 2010 at 10:51 am

Huge congrats, Dorry! That’s so amazing. And I love all your screen shots of you on the tv. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Love it!

Nichole December 6, 2010 at 11:08 am

I AM SO PROUD! AMAZING PICTURES!!!!!

WOW – you have come so far, For your first race, this is just amazing. You are a seasoned pro.

This is outstanding! enjoy the runner’s high!!!
Nichole recently posted..What If Birthday Wishes

lindsay December 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

what a great run you had!! I was cheering all morning for you through my computer. DId you hear me? hehe! I love this post and the look on your face is priceless….BLISSFUL running for sure!
CHeers!
LC
p.s.
Corn thins/banana/PB are my pre race fuel too! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 6, 2010 at 11:26 am

YAYY!!! Congratulations- I knew you could rock it!! You should be so proud of yourself. I hope you’re giving yourself some well-deserved R&R today :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..UnEqual Opportunity Eater

Camille December 6, 2010 at 11:29 am

Congrats Dorry! You did an incredible job!
Camille recently posted..Things I Should Probably Keep To Myself- Part 1

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 6, 2010 at 11:56 am

Congrats Dory!! What a great race :D
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Pumpkin Pistachio Risotto

Emily December 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm

YEA DORRY!! I knew you’d rock it! I love that you kept speeding up. And I love that you were so particular about your cute outfit. A hardcore runner but still a fashionable girl. Congratulations! (I can’t wait to see what you run next!)
Emily recently posted..Redo!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Congrats girl!! You killed it!

Dori December 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

WOW you are fast!!!!!! I am so impressed (and slightly jealous). Congratulations!! You dominated your first half marathon! And you made it all sound so easy.
Dori recently posted..Wild Buddha Designs YogaVibes Giveaway

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous December 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I’m so proud of you!!!!
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..December Goals

Alex @ IEatAsphalt December 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Congrats on a first great race together!

Danielle December 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’m so proud of you! I was thinking about you all day yesterday. GO YOU! GO BILLY!
Danielle recently posted..How is it December already!

Jenna December 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm

You are so amazing sister!! You ran a half marathon and then ran to meet me!! And then hung out to watch daveyb finish!! And then ran around to find him!!! Seriously, superwoman!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your love and support yesterday and always.
Xoxoxo,
Sassypants

Jane Allensworth December 6, 2010 at 7:00 pm

So proud of you both. Had hoped to be there but stayed home with a sick child. But Dan (Danny) ran the 1/2 at 2:26 and won his division (80 and over). Jeff Donnell (our son-in-law) ran the full marathon and finished so he’s pleased. All reported the cold weather was a true hardship.

Hope we will meet sometime…maybe at the finish line! You did great honor to Ray Stanley. Very best regards to you both and to Debbie. Jane

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

this is amazing, great job!!
Felicia (a taste of health with balance) recently posted..Staying Motivated

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Marci! It was shocking and exciting to see the Kenyans pass me. It definitely gave me the motivation to bring it home as fast as possible!

My legs are aching today for sure. I definitely see another race in my near future!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thank you Ashley!! It really was an incredible experience. I’m excited to sign up for another race for the springtime. :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Awwwww, Kristina! Thank you sweet friend. Your support, as usual, means SO much to me!! And to Billy, too. :) xoxo

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Thank you!! Oh, yes – it was the most exhilarating feeling and I’m excited to sign up for another race! Maybe in NYC?? :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Thank you so much!!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Lauren! The Gu was definitely helpful and I loved the Gu chomps, too.

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Tiff! Yes, they sure are the GF corn wafers from Whole Foods! We love them. I think we should go ahead and start packing for our move to Chicago so get ready for us! I’ll bring some peanut butter. xoxo

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Thank you friend! Maybe I’ll run my next race in your new city! :) :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thank you! It was FREEZING before we started but once I got warmed up, the cool temps felt perfect. I honestly LOVED it! I can’t wait to sign up for my next race for the springtime. :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:58 pm

LOL – me too! It seriously made me laugh when Billy I were watching last night. Thanks for your congrats!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Thank you so much!! It’s awesome to have so many supportive friends. I loved it out there – gives me chills to think about it and I’m excited for my next race!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Linds! I definitely felt you cheering for me. :) It was an awesome experience and I’m really so proud of Billy! Maybe I’ll run my next race in Austin!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Thank you! I’ve had a relaxing day with plenty of good food. Probably another early bedtime tonight. :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Thank you Camille!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Paige!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Em! My outfit was so important. ;) But really, I was nervous about what to wear since it was so super cold and glad it worked out so well. I’m excited to think about my next race in the springtime!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Thank you Heather! It was a great experience!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Dori! You’re fast yourself! You ran that 4-miler in record speed. :) I loved the race experience – I want to run one in NYC!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much Rachel!!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Thank you Alex! It was great to run with Billy for most of the race – it won’t be the same if I run one without him. :)

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Thank you so much Danielle! I really appreciated your support this weekend! xo

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

awww, Jen! I think YOU are amazing! I did do a lot of running around on Sunday, huh? :)

Love you. So much. And now I think it’s YOUR turn to run a half!!

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much, Jane! Sorry you couldn’t make it out but it was really cold so you were probably comfortably indoors. Congrats to Danny and Jeff on their great race times! Hope to meet you, too and thanks so much for your support and kind words. -Dorry

dorrybird December 6, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Thanks Felicia!

Tiff Munster December 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

haha! Bowie would be so pleased! She loves peanut butter! It is what we giver her to get some nasty pills down when she’s sick! lol Can’t wait! :)

Erin December 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Congrats to you and Billy! You should be so proud of yourself!!!!
Erin recently posted..Winter Warmer…

Allison December 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Congrats Dorry! Very excited for you and proud of you. What a great and exhilarating accomplishment!! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!
-Al

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Wahoo!! What an awesome 1st half time!!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Back to December

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run December 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

Dorry! I LOVED this so so much – your positive energy is radiating through every word. The first race sets the tone for all that follow, and there is absolutely no doubt that you have the discipline and drive to gear up for 26.2 :) those hills you were 110% ready for, the pace you held onto tightly, the attiude of “only __ miles left? psh”…yup, you’re a natural! <3 Congrats on an amazing 13.1!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Up to the 14-110 ft Peak

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for the avocado and hummus tips….. Also, is Billy a lawyer??? Crazy, my Billy wants to be a lawyer ha!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I truly am a ten year old

Missy Miller December 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yay!
Just. Yay!

You will always have that “wave of warmth and pride”

I think there was an angel who had the same wave up in heaven.

~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..I am NOT

Gina Beana December 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Congratulations! You and Billy both had great times :) I finished right in between yall at 2:01. The cheer stations are phenomonial!

Did the bananas upset your stomach at all or do you normally have some before long runs? I had one the last long run before the trot and I managed to get “sick” from the fiber. Never doing that again…

Love your blog, happy holidays!