Spirit and Recipes

December 17, 2010

I’ve been looking for my Christmas spirit.  Spending 4 days in sunny L.A. followed by temps in the 70s in Dallas this week, it’s felt more like September than December.

Time to bring on the cheer.  Last night, we went to dinner at my Dad’s house and I knew his wife would have the house in full Christmas decor.  Example A:

I was greeted with guacamole and blue corn tortilla chips.  And Chardonnay.

Then I was hypnotized by the beautiful, glowing tree.

And perfectly gift-wrapped packages.

Time to eat!  Black bean + corn salad, tamales and *vegetarian Mexican rice.  YUM.

Cookies and a little birthday celebration.

My “cookie” was a delicious bar of dark chocolate.

*It’s humbling when the chef accommodates my dietary preferences.  The rice is usually made with chicken broth and bacon, but everyone agreed it was delicious made with vegetable broth, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STRESS-RELIEF RECIPE ROUNDUP

Yesterday, I posted about Stress-Relieving Foods.  I found a bunch of recipes from some of my favorite bloggers that include many of those foods.  Check ‘em out:

I could go on and on!

Any recipes to share?  Leave them in the comments.

Have you found your holiday spirit this year?

I found mine last night.

Claire December 17, 2010 at 10:46 am

OMG I want to spend Christmas with your family, that tree is insane and the presents all look so beautifully wrapped it would almost be sad to open them! I agree about hostesses accommodating guests dietary issues…I try when the ball is in my court! Tonight I am making stuffed yellow bell peppers with soy meat instead of the usual :o)

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Isn’t it the prettiest tree?? It made me so happy. Billy and I have a tiny tree with colorful lights that shines in our living room but this one really GLOWS. I usually offer to bring a dish anywhere I’m going so the host doesn’t have to fully accommodate me, but my Dad’s wife was set on having some things I could eat. :)

Can I please come over for dinner??

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 17, 2010 at 10:46 am

How nice they had a special “cookie” for you! And what gorgeous gifts. That’s some stylish wrapping.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..An Italian Feast

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

She’s a gift-wrapping pro! They are always so pretty with lots of detail.

Kristina @ spabettie December 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

thank you, sweet friend. I feel honored to be a part of such a great lineup :)

looks like a great celebration, and the decor is beautiful! I’m happy the wonderfulness of the holiday has found you… <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..and a river runs through it

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

well, of course! I went to spabettie 1st. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

yum…i want guac and chips and a glowing tree!

BASIL @ spabettie December 17, 2010 at 11:08 am

I Love You, Dorry ! *wag wag wag*
BASIL @ spabettie recently posted..and a river runs through it

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Awww, BasilSPORT! I love you, too!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 17, 2010 at 11:47 am

Gorgeous photos! You just put me in the Christmas spirit!! I can’t believe it is so warm in Texas?!?! It is 13 here today:( Can’t wait to go through all of those recipes! Love the special cookie:)
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Books- partays and picking noses

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Yay for Christmas spirit! It’s finally cooled off here a bit. I think in the 50s today. :) Only a couple more days and you’ll be in CALI!

Nichole December 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm

What a gorgeous Hallmark house! That tree is beaming.

Seriously, how thoughtful to make you the special cookie. That’s awesome, that is so neat to do that for family. <3 the holidays for reasons like this!
Nichole recently posted..Ho Ho Holiday Jingles

lindsay December 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm

what a great list of recipe. I like the chickpea tacos! So clever. Even though it was warm here in TX, i still feel the holiday spirit. I just put on my christmas music and feel like a kid. :)

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Christmas music helps! I’m excited to go out looking at Christmas lights this weekend, too. Plus baking & wrapping gifts, I’m in the swing of things. :)

Mare December 17, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Dor, I haven’t gotten into the habit of commenting on your blog, but I had to do it now. The beautiful photos of our home, tree, and food were a wonderful Christmas present to your dad and me! It warms our hearts to create a happy, festive evening for our loved ones, and we enjoyed it more than anyone else. Today we are now completely filled with the Christmas spirit, too!! Love and xoxoxo

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Yay! So glad you liked the photos. It was a fun, festive night and I’m so thankful for the delicious meal. Let’s do it again very soon. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Yes, it always helps me to get in the holiday spirit when I decorate our house. The smell of the tree always does it for me. Dinner looked lovely – you and I have the same taste in “cookies”…and muffins ;)
Heather Eats Almond Butter recently posted..What’s Up Bessie

dorrybird December 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I bet you feel very thankful and festive this year with Summer here! Nothing like dressing a tiny baby up in holiday gear. :) xo

Emily December 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Fabulous tree and gifts! Looks like it was a special night. I’m going to be checking out your recipes. Thanks for sharing!
Emily recently posted..Pink Snow Grace

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

That house is PERFECT!! I remember always trying to make our trees look like that when I was in high school (and on the “perfect” track hahaha). I’ve since accepted that our tree will always be a little kooky and I love it, but I still appreciate a really beautifully decorated one!

Dorry’s cookie….hahaha I love it!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..i-Pasta

Lauren December 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

Aw Dorry!! You featured so many of my recipes! You are so so sweet :) I always hope people actually try them out – I only post the ones that turn out delicious! And trust me… there are many failures. Like last night…. I made coffee muffins. Who does that? They actually arent bad, but they definitely need perfecting.

Also, that tree is truly mesmerizing. Even from a computer screen, I stared at it for a solid minute. I am so glad you are having a lovely bi-coastal holiday!
Lauren recently posted..Goat cheese- spinach- and caramelized onion stuffed sweet potato skins

dorrybird December 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love your recipes! They are creative but easy to follow. I hope some readers came over to your blog to check them out. Coffee muffins have the potential to be really yummy. Maybe with some dark chocolate? :)

Camille December 18, 2010 at 10:33 am

Aww, it is so thoughtful having people accommodate for your dietary choices! It always makes me feel very special :)
Camille recently posted..An Unexpected Trip

Missy Miller December 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Gosh…you are such a good photographer!
Do you have a “fancy” (re:expensive) camera?
How long have you been photoging?

That “Dorry Cookie” melted my heart.
I know how that feels when someone keeps you in mind.
Too cute.