Dont Panic & Don’t Freak Out

December 22, 2010

Yesterday evening, I saw this window display and it made me laugh. There have been many times in my life when I PANICKED or FREAKED OUT for no good reason.

Last night, I had plans to cook dinner at home, but when Billy told me he really wanted to go out for Mediterranean food, I didn’t panic and I didn’t freak out.

I very happily (and obviously, it’s my favorite food!) obliged his request and had 2 kinds of hummus, spinach salad with melon and mushrooms, tabouli and lentils.

Doesn’t it look like a Mediterranean dinner wreath?

And of course, there was warm whole wheat pita.

Billy’s meal.

After dinner, I wanted to drive around to look at Christmas lights. When Billy suggested we make an impromptu stop at Pottery Barn, I didn’t panic and I didn’t freak out. There’s certainly no lack of birds at Pottery Barn. I felt right at home.

Then I thought of my dear friend.

How cute is he?

Then Billy ran away. And I found him excitedly standing by the robes.

You see, I planned to surprise Billy with a robe for Christmas, but when I saw how excited he was about these particular robes, I didn’t panic and I didn’t freak out. Instead, I bought him a brand new fluffy white robe right then and there.

And we ventured out into the warm night to look at Christmas lights.

Longhorns! And cactus!

I followed Billy and we took a walk around the block.

And all of a sudden the sidewalk ended. But I didn’t panic and I didn’t freak out. We made our way back to the car and whooshed ourselves home.

Whoosh.

When we got home, Billy put on his robe and I ate the chocolate chips for the Christmas baking I planned to do today.

The instances in this post aren’t necessarily things I would actually panic or freak out about (Billy, are you shaking your head?), but the night was a good reminder that life is so much more fun when I just go with the flow.

Are you good at going with the flow, rolling with the punches, living in the moment?

If so, have you always been that way or did you make a change?

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

oh, i remember the lights in dallas! my FIL took us on a limo ride through some of the neighborhoods…SO impressive :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..I Broke

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm

The lights are really awesome! Last night, we saw a bunch of limos – such a fun way to see the lights…and drink some wine or spiked cider. :)

Camille December 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oh my goodness, it is so warm there! The lights are gorgeous though!
I am definitely the type of person who likes to have a plan and stick to it. I’m working on it, though…
Camille recently posted..Tastes of Tuesdae

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Thankfully, it cooled down a bit today and we’ll have chilly temps for Christmas – that’s crucial for me to feel 100% in the spirit! :)

Lisa @ I'm an Okie December 22, 2010 at 11:01 am

Such gorgeous lights!

I usually am not a panic of freak out person in regards to plans. Now, if I get stressed bc I don’t understand something–then I can panic or freak out.
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..It’s gonna be a good year

Kristina @ spabettie December 22, 2010 at 11:02 am

Texans sure know how to decorate for the holidays – I LOVE the Longhorns!!

Once again, the photo of Billy scurrying off and then looking excitedly child like by the robes? SO cute! and now he has a white robe – the beginning of the white bedroom?

The Truth Is, next time I make a hummus platter I am going to shape it into a wreath.

XXO !
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Doxie Holiday

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Hook ‘em! Only in Texas. :)

I love that you appreciate Billy’s cuteness, too. He’s really a precious creature. <3

I’m already jealous of his robe and think I need to go back and get one for myself…we do have a gift card to Pottery Barn and those robes are on sale!

I think you should make a hummus salad wreath asap.

xo

Abby December 22, 2010 at 11:05 am

I reallllllllllly like your shoes!!! Where did you get them?!

I know my mom bought me a super soft robe for Christmas!! I’m excited to wear it!
Abby recently posted..Stacey’s Fault

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm

My shoes are Steve Madden but I got them at DSW. Do y’all have DSW?? I love them! I wear them all the time – inappropriate for the season, but I’ve never been one to care. Ha. ALSO, I think you’d love them b/c they are very minimal…like I can feel the ground a bit, sort of like Vibrams!

Have fun in your comfy new robe. :)

Caree @ Fit-Mama December 22, 2010 at 11:10 am

I definitely go with the flow and live in the moment…both the hubby and I are like that…we forget what happened yesterday. I like it that way!

And I really like your shoes too!

Yesterday, it didn’t feel like Christmas time though did it?? This weather has been crazy here in TX!
Caree @ Fit-Mama recently posted..Mberry Tablet Review

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I think that’s a GREAT quality! Especially that y’all both go with the flow. Billy is the most easy going person I know so he has rubbed off on me and we compliment each other…but I strive to be more laid back.

Thankfully, it’s cooled off here a bit today and it should be chilly by the weekend. :)

lindsay December 22, 2010 at 11:18 am

I am in the midst of about to panic and freak out, so thank you for this! IS that a statue of basil?! Oh kristina will be happy! hehe.
LC

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm

yes, a Basil statue! So cute. I hope you had a panic-free day! xo

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

What beautiful lights!
Haha your hubby looks SO excited about the robe :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..A Different Breakfast Craving

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm

haha – I know, right? SO excited. He’s easy to please. :)

allison December 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

dorry- love the white antique looking bird! where did you get your jellie shoes- i love them!!! TOO CUTE

i needed this post today- i have guests coming in tonight and tomorrow night and i’m trying not to panic:) i will try to adopt your style and take it as it comes.

xo-av

P.S. im looking forward to a date for two for tea next week-
allison recently posted..weekend wrap up

dorrybird December 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I loved the white bird, too! I got my jellies at DSW at the end of the summer – Steve Madden on sale. I wore them when Billy and I got married. And I still wear them all the time if it’s warm enough outside. :)

I’m sure you are going to be a wonderful hostess and your guests will feel right at home!

I’m looking forward to our tea date as well. Enjoy yourself this week!

Nichole December 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

Aw happy holidays Bird and Bee:) 70 degrees, holy hot Christmas. How awesome were the lights. And I totally spy Basil.

This time of year, if you don’t go with the flow, Santa’s sleigh will run right over you!
Nichole recently posted..Santa! I know him!

Megan @ ascension blog December 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

Oh, I’m feeling homesick at the sight of Christmas lights these days. This will be my first Christmas in Brazil, and let me tell you: for a Canadian, adjusting to a (sub)tropical Christmas is HARD! As for going with the flow and living in the moment… well, let’s just say I’m working on that! :)
Megan @ ascension blog recently posted..Thank you- ladies

dorrybird December 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hi Megan! Billy and I lived in Belize for a while last year and we were there on Thanksgiving so I totally relate to having to adjust to being away from home and in a completely different climate. Now that we’re back in Dallas, we have such great memories of that time! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and celebrate with new traditions. :)

Missy Miller December 23, 2010 at 11:12 am

I am in love with this post!
(I see a face in your pita. But I am not panicking or freaking out.)

~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..Caterpillar Eats and Deets

dorrybird December 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hahaha – yes! There is a face in the pita. How hilarious. And creepy. Well, I ate him. :)

JenATX December 24, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Not panicking and freaking out is so important during the holidays! Giving gifts is about giving someone your time & consideration, they don’t want you to stress & have your gift be a burden in your life (at least I dont want my loved ones to stress out about what to get me). I say this as I am about to head to Target to get one last gift… haha procrastinating is not the best way to avoid freaking out