Hummingbirds

January 6, 2011

Billy and I traveled to some fantastic places during the 1st year of our relationship.  People would often ask us if we were on our honeymoon, and eventually we started referring to these trips as “hummingbirds”.   (Q&A #4 explains how & why.)

June 2009-3 June 2009

Earlier this week, Billy sent me an email with the subject line, “Our pet”, and I initially thought he was about to shock lovingly surprise me with a pet of some sort.  I clicked on the link in the email to see this BEE HUMMINGBIRD!  It’s meant to bee.

mini_pets_hummingbird

This little bird is one of Time’s Top 10 Miniature Animals and now I want one.  Or two.

Also in the running: the Pygmy Marmoset and the Fennec Fox.

mini_pets_marmoset mini_pets_fox

Billy had a pet sugar glider for 8 years.  Her name was Elvis.  I never got to meet her.

Perhaps the closest Billy and I have ever been to owning a pet together was when we watched his little sister’s sugar glider, Pip.  (The marsupial love runs in the family.)

IMG_0152

Or maybe the time we had an 8-hour flight delay trying to get out of the JFK airport and this puppy named Jimbo took a liking to us Billy and my backpack.

IMG_0482 IMG_0483

Or when we lived in Belize and played with this crab on the beach.

Billy & the crab Dorry & the crab

In all seriousness, I do think we’ll get a pet one day.  I think I see another sugar glider in our future (Billy wants a colony), but I’m pushing for a Doxie!

On another note, we bought tickets for the Mega Millions lottery on Tuesday night because the jackpot was estimated at $380,000,000.  We didn’t win.  I’ll be sure to let you whenever we ever do.  But yesterday he said,

“I’m going tell everyone I won the lottery.  The wife lottery.”

I pay him to say these things.  Just kidding.  I’d have to win the lottery first.

Do you have a pet?

Do you play the lottery?

What is the 1st thing you would do with your winnings?

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

You better win the lottery:) I want an ELVIS!! Um you and billy have had the most amazing adventures together….very jealous!! And you are a movie star couple….gorgeous! Hope you are having an amazing day!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Best Chocolate Chip CookIes

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm

We have had some amazing adventures! With Billy, there’s no way around it. He’s full of ideas and he makes things happen. I’m along for the ride. :)

Kristina @ spabettie January 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

that Bee Hummingbird is AWESOME!! and the sugar gliders are cute too, as is the marmoset (I LOVE that word!), the crab, the JFK Pup and the fox… but none of them is a dachshund.

Basil is VERY proud and happy to be mentioned. I just said “Dorry!” and now he is jumping in circles. :D

We love you!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Marmosets are sort of our mascot! I posted about it with a video once, but Billy always tells me to “marmoset” him when he wants his back tickled. He’s a little creature himself.

Kristina @ spabettie January 7, 2011 at 12:17 am

“I am so serious about wanting a dachshund! I’m going to start thinking of names right now!” … this makes me very happy.
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

Kristina @ spabettie January 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

also? we didn’t buy any tickets to mega, but we probably should have… both winners were from the Pacific NW, if Idaho can be included in that.

Yesterday I tweeted the question of WHO among my PNW friends won the mega, and did they want to come for dinner? ;) nobody has answered, yet.

Billy is right – he IS a lottery winner. <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Hahaha – I wish you knew the winner! That’s a whole lot of money. I can’t even wrap my head around it.

Theresa @ActiveEggplant January 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

Get a Doxie! Get a Doxie! Sweetest pups ever if you ask me! We’ve had ours, Dottie for almost 5 years now & I can’t imagine life without her.

My hubby and I were just talking about the lotto this morning – We don’t want to will millions (because you get a big target on your back) but want to wind just enough to pay off all of our debt & take an awesome vacation. Then back to “normal” life! What would you do if you and Billy won?

(And the “wife lottery” – TOO cute!)
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..The Spin Cycle

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I want one! I really do. When we decide to get a dog, that’s my vote! Hopefully I can convince Billy. Dottie – so cute. That’s my grandmother’s name. Hahahaa.

I agree about winning millions – it would be really bizarre. If we won, we’d pay off Billy’s law school loans, give money to family and friends, buy a house and a boat! Travel! Etc etc etc. I’ve always wanted a Vespa. :)

Theresa @ActiveEggplant January 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

I actually named Dottie after my grandma! Her name was Dorothy, but my grandpa always called her Dot. We got Dottie shortly after my grandpa passed we just knew the name was perfect for her!

I agree on the Vespa – would be SO fun to have one of those to zip around on!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..The Spin Cycle

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

y’all are so cute :) we have 2 pets…dogs…keira and bunker. they are amazing! we only play the lottery when it’s a huge amount, like now…and if we won? we’d probably buy some vacation homes, quit our jobs, and travel :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..4 Years Ago…

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Your pups are so cute! We’d buy vacation homes, too – one in Colorado for sure. Fun to dream about… :)

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh my gosh, the ears on that Fennec Fox are ADORABLE. What cute little pets! :) But I bet they have a crazy side….
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Starting Strong- Running with a New Plan!

JenATX January 6, 2011 at 10:31 am

awww the wife lottery! so cute.
My roommate just purchased a rabbit, so I guess its kind of like my pet. To be honest though, I don’t like the rabbit. It doesn’t even do anything & just stays in its cage all day. I’d prefer a cat!
I don’t play the lottery but if I did I already know exactly what I’d do with the winnings:
1. Pay back my parents for helping me pay for school 2. Buy a new car 3. Go on a fun trip with my boyfriend 4. Put the rest in savings to do something amazing once I finish school… if only!

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hahaha – love your honesty about the rabbit. They really are quite boring. We had one when my sisters and I were kids. His name was Snuggles. Actually, I’m really not sure if Snuggles was male or female.

Tiff Munster January 6, 2011 at 10:38 am

Aww Elvis! I knew her. He used to pick her up and toss her (throw her) and she would glide down to the floor or the couch. First time he did it in front of me I screamed! “no! Billlllly!!!” and she landed safe and sound. Billy laughed, he used to get a big kick out of that. He converted a hall closet into her “bedroom” and tacked this mesh material on the walls of her “room” so she could climb all over it. They were so cute together.
He lost her right before I came to visit in London. I was heartbroken. I know he was too. U should def get another one!
<3 tiff tiff

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I’ve seen him throw his sister’s around! Pip was not as fearless or bold as Elvis from what Billy says…not surprising since Elvis traveled the world. :)

SO sad about her disappearance in London. I think there’s a good chance we’ll get another one at some point! Maybe before our road trip to see you? ;)

Megan @ ascension blog January 6, 2011 at 10:39 am

I absolutely love love love hummingbirds. In fact, I have a tattoo of one. Also, I chose the hummingbird as the animal representation of my word of the year (presence).
I don’t usually play the lottery, but if I do and win (it could happen!), the first thing I’m doing is buying a house with a large garden, and lots of windows, with a hummingbird feeder at each one :)
Megan @ ascension blog recently posted..Creativity- ie allowing our natural state of being

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love hummingbirds, too! I think they are beautiful. If you win the lottery and buy your dream house with a large garden, can I please come over?

Megan January 7, 2011 at 3:29 am

Absolutely! You’ll be welcome anytime, my dear.

Claire January 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

One of my favorite posts Dorry!

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Claire! Hope the new year is treating you well so far.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 6, 2011 at 11:17 am

Oh my gosh that fox. I WANT ONE!! MY heart just melts around animals. I’m currently sitting at my computer with my kitty Cali in my lap. I actually got a picture of her sitting there this morning- it’s going up in my afternoon post!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Make 2011 the Breast Year Ever!

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm

The fox really is so precious. Cartoon-like, really. Loved the pic with you and Cali!

lindsay January 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

oh yes, our sweet sadie is like our child. Too much fun! We bought a lotto too, no luck. Maybe next time?
LC

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Yes! You never know. :)

Sadie is precious. I loved the video of her jumping over the crates on your walk. My first dog was named Sadie!

CathyK January 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

love your questions today!
~ no pets…i am REALLY not an animal person – nothing against others having pets (well, except dog owners who let their dogs go off-leash-grrr) but i’m just not a fan.
~ never play the lottery
~ if i DID and i won, i would take my entire family on a whopping cruise!
have a great day!
CathyK recently posted..And Just Like That…

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I agree about the dogs on leashes! There’s a multi-purpose trail in Dallas and when dogs are out there running around, someone (or the dog!) could so easily get injured by a biker or rollerblader.

I think I’ve played the lottery less than 5 times – not really my thing, but every now and then it’s fun!

BASIL @ spabettie January 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

dorry, i love this post. thank you for sharing my page.

if Billy has a colony of sugar gliders, can i come play??
BASIL @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Basil, you are such a little champion! One day I’ll meet you and drink tea with your mom and eat yummy snacks and treats that she’s going to cook and bake for me. And we’ll take you on a long walk. Of course you will be welcome to play with our sugar gliders. Woof! Woof!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous January 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I have a 10 month old boxer/lab mix puppy and a 4 year old tabby cat.

I do not play the lottery, but the first thing I would do is pay off my student loans. They haunt me every day.
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..Dress Shopping – or – Why I Still Need to Learn to Ignore the Numbers

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Oh I bet your puppy is a precious handful! A boxer/lab mix sounds adorable.

Lauren January 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hummingbirds — sooo cute!
I dont have a pet :( I have always wanted a dog though! Hopefully soon… sigh.
Lauren recently posted..Broiled goat cheese and salted banana crostini

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 10:02 pm

One day you’ll have a pet! It’s a lot of responsibility. Billy and I like to be free to roam so perhaps we’ll wait until we’re more settled…if that ever happens. ;)

Emily January 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love that he said he won the “wife lottery.” So cute!!!
Emily recently posted..Pause and Reflect

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm

He’s a cutie. He’s really just quite clever and knows how to make me smile. :)

Missy Miller January 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Screw the lottery. You hit the jackpot.
Umm…the Bee-pot?

~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..Vegan Recipe for Disaster

dorrybird January 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Awwww, I did win the bee-pot. He’s truly amazing.

Camille January 7, 2011 at 8:31 am

Oh my gosh, you should have stolen that dog from the airport!
We have a cat and a dog who are the best of friends. The dog was my boyfriend’s from before we started dating and I only borderline like him. Dogs just annoy me. My cat, on the other hand, is a joint child. She is currently lost in the bathtub. Seriously. She is tangled in the shower curtains and can’t find her way out. I adore her.
Camille recently posted..Stick With Me