Snowy Sun + Chilly Chili

January 10, 2011

Winter finally showed its frigid face in Dallas.  The photo on the left was taken December 18th and the photo on the right was taken this morning.

DSC08493

We ventured outside yesterday to have a look at the lightly falling snow.

Like a kid seeing snow for the 1st time and throwing snowballs at me.

After big bowls of oatmeal and a couple hours on the couch, we decided to bundle up and go for a walk.  There was no snow in sight, but it was a chilly 32 degrees.

We saw some mixed seasonal signals along the way.

Spring?

Summer?

Fall?

Winter?

You just never know in a climate like Texas.

We walked to the nearby grocery store to pick up ingredients for a big pot of chili.

And on the way home, Billy entertained me.

And then the sun came out.  Bee = sunshine.

This batch of veggie & bean chili started with 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 red bell pepper and 1 pint of sliced mushrooms sautéed in olive oil.

I added low sodium diced tomatoes + tomato sauce, spicy chili seasoning, 1 cup of vegetable broth and 3 drained & rinsed cans of beans: black, red, pinto.

The chili simmered for almost 45 minutes and I toasted up some corn tortillas in the oven.  I served my chili over a bed of spinach since my body was craving greens.

Garnished with avocado and nutritional yeast.  I turn everything into a taco salad.

And I rarely use utensils because I’d rather scoop with a chip.

What are your favorite foods to scoop?

Mine are peanut butter with apples, hummus with pita and guacamole with chips.

Do you have a favorite season?

I like aspects of each.  I enjoy the transitions from one season to the next.  And there’s something about Octobers….

What’s the weather like today where you live?

It’s 29 degrees here this morning.

~Birrrrd

Camille January 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

Beautiful snow! It is a chilly 28 degrees here in Oregon this morning but it may warm up to the high 30s! Scalding! :)
Camille recently posted..A Questionable Diet

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

My favorite season is definitely spring!! Here in Michigan, it’s a chilly day! It’s currently 17 degrees!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..repeat customer

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 10, 2011 at 10:50 am

We got a good amount of snow here. It’s funny how exciting it is when its such a rare occurrence. All part of the South. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Last Day

Missy Miller January 10, 2011 at 11:25 am

That looks delish!

Oh and Brrr….
Sending some sunshine your way from South Florida … oh wait you have your own little ray of warmth and delight.
He’s so cute. I think he may deserve you (0:

~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..Caterpillar Eats and Deets

lindsay January 10, 2011 at 11:27 am

Billy’s hat is cracking me up! We left Dallas right when it was snowing. I was sad. No snow is Austin, just rain.
Favorite things to scoop- you got it….PB, Gaucamole, cottage cheese, salsa, and hummus!
LC

Kristina @ spabettie January 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

Billy’s antics gave me my first smile today <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..you cannot NOT smile

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 10, 2011 at 12:03 pm

BILLY IS HILARIOUS!!! SNOW in Texas?!?! What!!! I love all the gorgeous pictures..you really are so talented. That chili made my tummy growl! I am OBSESSED with Summer. It was 8 degrees this morning boo. I love scooping salsa or GUAC with veggies (and chips ha)
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..How to go on a date when you are dirt poor because you spend all your money on running shoes

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm

You’ll appreciate that during his first heel-click attempt, he kicked the eggs in the bag in his right hand. Amazingly, none of them broke! :)

Hope your day gets better sweet friend. Love you.

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

He loves that hat so much! hahaha. It’s incredibly warm – I think I need to get one myself! Hope you are staying warm and dry. xoxo

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Ahhh, Florida sunshine sounds nice! He really is the cutest thing. I am extremely fortunate!

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

It really is hilarious. I went to the grocery store Saturday evening for avocados and it was packed with people stocking up for the winter storm! Hhahaha. :)

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

17 degrees is freeeezing! Hope you are managing to stay warm. :)

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hahaha – love it. The high 30s is good running weather in my humble opinion! :)

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

He makes life a whole lotta fun! It really barely snowed at all but it was nice to see some white. I love taking photos – thank you! 8 degrees???? Stay warm little lady! xoxoxoxo

Natalie January 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Looks like you both had some fun! The temperature in Spokane this morning was a chilly 10 degrees, brrr. But the sun is shining something powerful today and that makes up for the chilliness. Tonight we are having a new dish called Thai curry chili – I am really looking forward to it! Have a happy week!

JT (the Faux Foodie Girl) January 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I am usually not a fan of chili, but your photos make me want some. Great photography!!!!
JT (the Faux Foodie Girl) recently posted..Sunset walk

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

i love all seasons…i feel like once it’s time for the next one i’m ready for it! i’m pretty stoked for spring right about now…especially on this 15 degree day!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Winter Wonderland Day

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self January 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm

It’s pretty chilly in Baltimore today too! Snow is in our forecast for tomorrow!
Katie @ Health for the Whole Self recently posted..The Forgotten Beauty of Hand-Written Letters

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

It’s definitely freezing here today – and snowing!!

How exciting that you got snow in Dallas. There definitely are mixed signals when it comes to seasons there – so crazy! And definitely my favorite thing to scoop is salsa on blue corn chips. mmmm.
Candice @ChiaSeedMe recently posted..a snowy weekend

Stephanie January 10, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love dipping banana chips in dark chocolate dreams peanut butter. To.die.for!

I love all seasons for various reasons too, but winter is still kinda the pits where I live (Iowa)

JenATX January 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I need to try cottage cheese! I always see others eating it & tell myself to get some but then forget…
I love to scoop guacamole &/or salsa & chips or green bell pepper sticks into hummus.. crunchy!
I love the last picture of Billy smiling at the lamppost.. he looks so happy!

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

10 degrees sounds so intense! It doesn’t get quite that cold here, but I remember visiting Billy in NYC a couple of years ago and it was 9 degrees almost the whole weekend.

Thai Curry Chili sounds delicious and WARM! Mmmm.

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Thanks JT! The good thing about chili is that you can make it however you want. :) I guess mine could be considered bean soup – haha.

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Spring is wonderful! Those first warm days when I just want to take off my shoes and walk outside with bare feet. Hope you are staying warm pretty lady!

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Stay warm! Hope y’all get some pretty white snow. Ours was basically icy snow that melted. :)

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

It was chilly here today, but I’m sure that means it’s colder up there! Stay warm with some chips and spicy salsa. :)

dorrybird January 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

That sounds SO yummy! My husband is obsessed with banana chips and it’s been too long since we’ve had any. Adding to my grocery list now…

CathyK January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

it was freeezzzzing here today in southern ontario!! like the kind that makes your eyelashes stick together!
your billy looks like a really fun guy! i loved the photos!
your chili sounds marvelous – i love putting chili over salad! and i love to put pb on apple, too – best snack ever!
stay warm down there in texas, dorry!
CathyK recently posted..The Best and Worst of the 1970 Kiki Project

Emily January 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love that photo of Billy with his hands behind his back. It cracked me up! And I’m loving his hat. Such personality!
Emily recently posted..4 Thoughts Today

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 11, 2011 at 6:47 am

It’s fa-reezing here right now. 17 degrees last night when I was driving home…yikes!! Makes me jealous for some of that 32 degrees :)

Taco salads are the best. No shame in turning anything and everything into one.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Pasta People

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 11, 2011 at 8:15 am

Ha, those pictures of every “season” could not be more representative of TX ;) And I’m guessing those entertaining pictures of Billy couldn’t be more representative of him, heh!

I always prefer something crunchy/scoop-y for chili, too! Other than that, hummus and salsa with chips or veggies, and pb with…well, that list could go on for a while…
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Meatless Monday- Tempeh BBQ Veggie Soup

Stephanie January 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

Hey Dorry! I nominated you for a *stylish* blogger award over on my site!
Stephanie recently posted..Sushi &amp Bowling

Nichole January 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh my goodness! Never in a million would I have thought!!! WOW y’all too:)

Billy’s expression is priceless. <3

dorrybird January 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Brrrr! Hope you are staying warm. I can’t even imagine that kind of cold! Billy is a lot of fun. He keeps my life very exciting. Agree that PB & apple is probably the best snack ever!

dorrybird January 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

It was 27 degrees this morning when we got in the car and I can’t imagine 17! Hope you are bundled up.

dorrybird January 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

True story! Billy is almost always entertaining me in some manner. The guy has a lot of energy. He’ll be a good dad one day…but we don’t talk about that quite yet. ;)

dorrybird January 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Stephanie! I’ll come over and check it out. :)

dorrybird January 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Y’all got a lot more than we did! Hope you are enjoying your snow days!