Self-Discovery, Word by Word: CREATIVITY

January 12, 2011

I’ve posted twice before in the Self-Discovery, Word by Word Series:

GRATITUDE

VULNERABILITY

Creativity makes me think of art classes, colors, fashion, photography, writing, crayons, water colors, recipes, cooking, WORRY. <– HUH??

You see, I’ve written about worry before. If you’ve been reading here for a while, you might remember my post on being Better Than Okay.

amazing dont_worry_bee_happy_mug-p1688310701240062682l9gv_4001

Or perhaps Don’t Worry, Eat Chocolate about being a WARRIOR, not a WORRIER. Although I know my mental thought processes are in my hands mind, Billy’s positivity and glass-filled-to-the-brim attitude have influenced me, and helped to ease my worrying ways. Worrying is not a natural state of mind for this guy.

DSC07000

As we got closer in our relationship and started to share our thoughts, stories and worries, we had a humorous, perspective-shifting conversation that started with me defending the reasons why I don’t watch scary movies.

I was explaining my train of thought about a worry manifesting itself in my mind. A worry about something that didn’t exist (a characteristic of many worries) and something that I would let my wild imagination turn into a legitimate fear.

Billy, trying so hard to understand where I was coming from, said,

“Oh!  So you’re a creative worrier.”

And I smiled because he was so right. He knew me well. If I had nothing to worry about, I created something to worry about. Maybe I could have turned it into a career and authored some of those horror stories that I’m afraid to watch.

I am thankful to say that my creative worrying has decreased. I make an effort to channel my creative energy into the things I love.

Like writing this blog. And photography. And healthy cooking. And fitness…

fitness DSC07613

When and where do you feel the most creative?

Have you ever been a creative worrier like me?

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 12, 2011 at 8:48 am

i definitely feel the most creative in the kitchen…so many choices! i can’t say i ever considered myself to be a creative person til i started blogging though :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Winter Wonderland Day

Jess January 12, 2011 at 8:52 am

“Creative Worrier” that is me! I blame it on my mother. She is worse than me. It’s a work in progress for me not to worry so much.

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 12, 2011 at 9:00 am

Love the photo collage :) There are a lot of channels receiving your creative energy! I feel most creative when I’m writing, taking pictures, and cooking! I almost went into architecture, but realized that my science/reason/health-inspired side of the brain was more powerful than my pencil sketches and ability to build small models. ;)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Meatless Monday- Tempeh BBQ Veggie Soup

Stephanie January 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

I am definitely a creative worrier. I’d say kids have done that to me, but I’m pretty sure it was a trait I possessed before they were born.

I love getting creative anywhere and everywhere! From the blog, to scrapbooking, to the kitchen.
Stephanie recently posted..Sushi &amp Bowling

Kristina @ spabettie January 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

I really needed this post today; I have been going through something for a couple weeks now, and it takes over my mind to the point of Non Creativity. I haven’t REALLY been blogging, I sit at my laptop and cannot even comment on other’s blogs sometimes. :(

I am SO trying to use the advice I would give to others right now, but sometimes all I want to do is sit on the couch and cuddle my pup.
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..juiced salad

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 12, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’ve never heard it explained like that, but what you’re saying makes sense- I’m definitely a creative worrier too. I worry about things and then when I tell people about them they’re like, where did that even COME from? Blogging is my biggest creative outlet too- I love the sense of self-discovery and confidence it gives me!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Pasta People

lindsay January 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

encouragement from others is the best way to get creative. But I know you, your creativity is in the kitchen. I know blogging can feel demanding sometimes, but dont let it. Go cuddle with those pups, they would love that! Sweet basil!
LC

lindsay January 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

worrying get us know where but when you look at like you and Billy did, the creative worrier it can be channeled elsewhere. When I get overwhelmed I worry. Its the fear of failure. But I am learning that failures can lead to success!
LC

Lauren January 12, 2011 at 11:30 am

The term ‘creative worrier’ is such a perfect match for me. I waste so much energy every single day thinking up hypothetical situations and outcomes to things going on in my life. It is CONSTANTLY in the back of my mind, and often up in the front. It makes me sad to think what I could have accomplished/grown from if I hadnt wasted all that brain space on creative worries. :( Ill try to work on this with you.
Lauren recently posted..The best chili you will ever eat

Kristina @ spabettie January 12, 2011 at 11:39 am

thank you, Lindsay! I am so very appreciative of friends like you. <3
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..juiced salad

Erin January 12, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m definitely a creative person! I love to create collages, sew, and all type of other hand crafts. I used to be much more of a worrier than I am now. The older I get the more I realize there is no point in all that worrying. Do the best you can and go on with life!
Erin recently posted..Sum It Up!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Once again we are way too alike!! Billy is the same way as your Billy and is so chill and if there is a problem he solves it….I dwell on it. I really am a creative worrier too….it’s like I thrive on stress. You are motivating me to work on this big time, THANK YOU! I feel most creative when I am running:)
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..How to go on a date when you are dirt poor because you spend all your money on running shoes

CathyK January 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

warrior vs worrier?? now that is genius!
i love your photos – you can definitely see your creativity shining through!
i love to be creative with knitting and blogging/writing. i compose my blogs mentally while i knit! :)
CathyK recently posted..Old Friend- “Blend” Friend- TV “Friend-” Sense a Trend

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Blogging is such a great outlet for creativity! It’s your own little space to do what you please. <3

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I think we’re all works in progress when it comes to worrying. Just being aware of it is a great start. :)

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I love architecture! Can’t imagine doing the designing myself, but have a great appreciation for it.

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I can only imagine (and worry – ha!) that having children brings about a whole different level of worry that I can’t yet understand. I’ve seen a glimpse of it in my relationship with my own parents and watching my sisters become moms…

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm

KRIS! I want to come over and give you a big hug right this minute. I really understand the feeling of not having it in me to blog/comment. Sometimes we need to feel what we’re feeling and not force things. With that said, I hope your struggles pass ASAP and that you can return 100% of your cheerful, spirited, energetic self. Love you. xo

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Worrying has a way of manifesting in our thought processes and can get carried away! It’s a waste of time to worry about the “what ifs” – easier said than done, but at least we’re aware of it.

You are ahead of the game, G! And you aren’t even 21 yet! :) But, soon…so soon!

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I have a fear of failure, too! I try to remember to ask myself what I would do if I knew I couldn’t fail? And then I use that as a starting point to tackle the task or goal.

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Don’t be sad about it! It’s great that you recognize it. I’ve come a long way in the past decade with my worrying ways. I don’t play the “what if” game in my head like I used to. Focus on being present and dealing the each issue as it comes…rather than sitting around worrying about what MIGHT come. xo

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love your attitude! And I think it’s awesome that you can sew…something I’d love to learn how to do. xo

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm

We married our perfect matches with Billy and Billy! I get really inspired and creative on my runs, too. As soon as I’m done, I jot down notes about my thoughts so I don’t forget them. :)

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Thank you! I love the thought of being a warrior in life and kicking worrying to the curb. :)

I love that you feel your writing inspiration while knitting – that’s so awesome. I feel inspired the most when I’m running. So many thoughts…a great time to be introspective.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

OH I can def see where worry would fall under creativity – it basically means stepping outside the comfort zone!
I don’t know *where* I’m most creative, but I tend to be most creative during workouts – it’s just most times the creative idea is as fleeting as my run, heh.
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Tuesday Night Treat

Abby January 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I can’t watch anything scary or intense. I just don’t understand why I need some added level of stress or anxiety when I don’t need it?! It’s not like I enjoy it!

But as for worrying–I’m not too much of a worrier. I can be, but it’s usually because I’m in some kind of moping mood. My husband worries enough for the both of us so I can’t worry too much. He lives his entire life at a low level of stress.

It’s kind of…stressful!

JenATX January 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I definitely agree in the need to feel what we’re feeling & not force things. If I’m worried about something, a wise person once told me to let myself get upset, throw a tantrum, or do whatever I need to do to really feel that frustration. Then after that, we can more easily let that feeling go & move on to other things in our life!
I know firsthand that this is easier said then done, but its helped me relieve a lot of tension when I would otherwise try, unsuccessfully, to push through the tension.
Kristina, I hope things work out for you :)

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I’m with you! I have a mental notepad when I’m running and try to keep track of my creative ideas. Maybe I’ll bring a pen and notepad to the treadmill. :)

dorrybird January 12, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I agree – no desire to see movies that are going to leave me stressed or anxious. (We can watch the news for that, right?) I still have images in my head from scary movies I watched in junior high!

I love that you aren’t a worrier. You are a cold weather running WARRIOR though. :)

Megan @ ascension blog January 14, 2011 at 3:22 am

I love what you wrote here, “Be a warrior, not a worrier.” Awesome! I used to be a creative worrier, but once I realized that it was more harmful than helpful, I gave it up. Now, I focus on what’s happening here and now, and I’m so much more relaxed.
Megan @ ascension blog recently posted..Poignant wisdom

Missy Miller January 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm

First of all..I love Bee. In an agape way. I love that you found him.
I would like to share something I read recently but I’m not quoting exactly.

A friend of mine said, “Pretend you are in a pit full of hungry viscious lions. What would you do?” And I thought of numerous possibilities and how to form a response but before I could she interrupted me.
“You know what I would do? I’d stop pretending.”

Love that. Your imagination is awesome. You know when to “shut her down” though. Just remember that story and go give Bee a hug.

~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..Seven Minutes In Heaven

dorrybird January 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I love this! STOP PRETENDING. That’s a wonderful lesson. Bee really is the best. I’ll give him extra hugs today. :)

Margarita @ Weightless January 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Hi Dorry! I just saw your comment on Ashley’s creativity post, so I searched your blog for your post. I’ll include your link in my round-up tomorrow. :)

I can totally relate to being a creative worrier. What a perfect way to put it! I also don’t watch horror movies, and my imagination runs wild when it comes to worrying. It takes effort but I try my best to stop or minimize my worries, because they only stop me from enjoying life. And creativity really is about freedom and a healthy imagination, I think.

Thanks so much for participating in the series!!
Margarita @ Weightless recently posted..Essential Body Image Questions To Ask Yourself

dorrybird January 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Hi Margarita! Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I’m so glad you found this post to include in the round-up tomorrow.

I think you said it right that learning how to minimize our worrying is the best way to truly enjoy life.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the word is next month. :)