Sum-It-Up Saturday

January 15, 2011

When you have a blog and post about summing up your week on Saturdays, it’s amazing how quickly Saturdays sneak up on you!  But, as always, I love Saturdays.

My week started with Snowy Sun + Chilly Chili as winter arrived to Dallas, and I loved the comments on Tuesday’s post about Food and Love.

I wrote my third post in the Self-Discovery, Word by Word series: CREATIVITY. Next was Claims and Labels, a post about the importance of reading the ingredients on packaged goods and knowing what the nutrition claims really mean.

amazing

On Friday I showed you photos of the Austin Dachshunds and other pets at the house where we are staying this weekend.

Even though the forecast calls for cold rain all day long in Austin, I’m sure we’ll find something to do for entertainment…or maybe a little lazy lounging indoors.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of hanging out with my friend Lindsay.

dor&linds

We could have talked for hours and hours.  I love her and her blog, The Cotter Crunch.  She’s a beautiful person.  As lovely and genuine as it gets!

Last July, I posted Dining with Dad, after my dad emailed me photos of his dinner and wanted to be featured on the blog.  Hilarious.  Yesterday, I received this photo:

dad food

Dining with Dad, Part II” – but no description this time.  Your guess is as good as mine.  I’m thinking roasted vegetables.

What’s your favorite vegetable?

It’s difficult for me to pick a favorite, but I eat a lot of spinach and broccoli.

What was one of the highlights of your week?

Mine was hanging out with Lindsay!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend,

lindsay January 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

oh that was my highlight too! I loved it so so much. I was tell James (my hubs) all about how much fun we had just chatting! Its dreary here yes, but perfect for lounging.
Love your dads dish!
Favorite veggie? cucumber or carrots. Best for dipping in hummus!
Cheers and Hugs,
LC

dorrybird January 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I did the same thing with Billy! I told him we need to move here ASAP. :) We’re lounging this afternoon. Got out for a bit and remembered that traffic in downtown Austin in the rain is terrible!

Stephanie January 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hah! I love the dining with dad. My parents called me a million times this week to tell me what they were eating or request suggestions. I love it!

I just can’t pick a favorite veggie. I love them all.
sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli & squashes

dorrybird January 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

It’s pretty cute when our parents take interest in nutrition – I love it, too! Mmmm – LOVE brussels and squash.

JenATX January 16, 2011 at 10:18 am

I hope my parents follow suit! My mom is all about low calorie/ low fat rather than real food + lots of nutrients :-/
And my favorite vegetable is…. drum roll…. red & green bell peppers! So versatile, good for cooking with or chopping into sticks & dunking into dips. Can’t beat the crunchiness either. Green peppers are also found in a lot of Mexican food which is my fav :)

Kristina @ spabettie January 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love that your dad sent another photo… <3 I have lunch with my dad almost every Sunday… after many years of not having him in my life, it is precious to me.

spending time with you + Lindsay would be the highlight of my YEAR ! enjoy your weekend…
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..cinnamony spinach

lindsay January 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm

maybe we need a trip to oregon, right Dorry?

dorrybird January 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

yes! I would love to visit Portland. I’ve heard such amazing things. But Kristina has been known to make it to Austin, too! One way or another, it’ll happen…hopefully soon. :)

Kristina @ spabettie January 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm

YES… usually we get to Austin once a year… so hopefully soon… Dorry is coming out in August to PDX, I think?? Come then!!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..cinnamony spinach

dorrybird January 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm

His photo made me smile! If I keep putting them on the blog, he’ll probably do it more often. I’m so glad you have a special Sunday lunch date with your dad. That IS precious and I’m sure it means the world to him as well.

Lisa @ Thrive Style January 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m a new reader…but any friend of Lindsay’s is a friend of mine! …not that I’ve actually met Lindsay, but I like her blog a lot :)

My fave veg is definitely broccoli!

dorrybird January 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hi Lisa! So glad you stopped by and said hello. Lindsay is amazing. Her personality really comes through on her blog so I’m sure you feel like you’ve met her. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

CathyK January 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm

that is too cute that your dad sent you a photo of his veggies for your blog! i always laugh when my parents take photos – it’s a five minute endeavour to snap a few pics!
a highlight of my week was girls’ night last night – so good to just laugh and gossip and relax. loved the photo of you and your friend, lindsay. you both exude happiness!
have a great weekend!
CathyK recently posted..Way Back Playback- The Friday Edition

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love a good girls’ night! Hope the rest of your weekend was equally as great.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I don’t think I could ever have just one favorite veggie, but I love carrots!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..What I Learned Today

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Carrots are so good! And versatile. I love shredded carrots in salads and also a great ingredient in homemade veggie burgers.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I think tomatoes are my favorite veggie. There’s nothing better than a fresh summer heirloom with sea salt and balsamic!

Highlight of my week?? Gosh, I don’t even know where to start!! I think Harry Potter World and my Seasons 52 meetup were the best, but the Titanic exhibit and dinner tonight are up there too!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Orlando- Blogger Style

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’m so glad you had a great vacation! It was fun for me to read your posts. Especially the Titanic exhibit. I’m sure you were in heaven. :)

Megan @ ascension blog January 16, 2011 at 5:01 am

Highlight of the week was definitely beginning the 6-week Mondo Beyondo class with Jen Lemen and Andrea Scher. So far, so cool; I’m really excited about it.

Favourite vegetable? That’s almost impossible to answer because I love almost all of them. But, if I had to pick just one, it would be carrots. What’s really fun about living in Brazil right now is experimenting with all the local vegetables (and fruit) that you just can’t find in Canada.
Megan @ ascension blog recently posted..BLISS

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Sounds exciting! I’m going to have to come read about it on your blog.

I’m with you – it’s impossible to pick a favorite. When Billy and I lived in Belize, we definitely experimented with different fruits and veggies. It’s all part of the experience! Hope you had a great weekend.

Emily January 16, 2011 at 6:06 am

I love that your dad sends food photos to you! Favorite veggie–asparagus!
Emily recently posted..Portraits and Priest Things

Jamie @ Food in Real Life January 16, 2011 at 11:09 am

The pic from your dad is so cute! Favorite veggie? That is so hard..but I think mine is eggplant.
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Busy Saturday

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Eggplant! That’s a good one. I love eggplant, too – one of my new favorite things is baba ganoush.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

I am sorry to admit this but I am legitimately upset that I couldn’t hang out with you and Lindsay….I LOVE that picture of you two together….so stinkin gorgeous!! Your dad is adorable, I love that he sent you a picture of his food. BROCCOLI is def my absolutely favoritest! Have an amazing Sunday Gorgeous Girl!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Boys Can Cook

dorrybird January 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Ohhhh, sweet Janae! We wish you could have been there. I know the conversation would have gone on for hours and hours. I love broccoli – could eat it every single day! I hope you are having a good night before your day off tomorrow. You’re going to rock your long run! xo

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover January 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hahahaha – your Dad’s the sweetest!

Jenn January 16, 2011 at 9:23 pm

This is my first time reading your blog, I love it!!! I am just discovering all the awful things in the food Ive eaten most my life! I have also found a new love for Organic, Raw, and Whole Foods Market. I love your blog and all the great info!!
Will be back often :)
Jenn

dorrybird January 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

Thanks Jenn!! So glad you stopped by and left a comment. It sounds like you are learning a lot about nutrition lately – that’s wonderful! I’ve written some posts about nutrition that you can find under “top posts” and I plan to continue writing more about new topics. Hope your week is off to a great start. :)