Kiss Your Husband

January 18, 2011

I posted yesterday about Love & Marriage. Sharing your life with another person is amazing. It’s an incredible gift. It’s comforting.  It’s fun and exciting.

It’s also challenging. But the most rewarding things in life come from challenges.

Billy and I are best friends. We spend a lot of time together and wouldn’t want it any other way. There are times when our wants and needs are in sync and other times when we can barely speak without frustrating each other. It’s part of the deal.

He keeps things light. I highlight meaningful moments. We enhance each other. We take care of each other. We learn from each other. We both fold the laundry. We both clean the dishes. And we always take turns driving on road trips.

A few days ago, I left the room for a few minutes while my laptop was running. I came back to find virtual love notes from Billy in every open window on my computer.

And on my iPhone. And a handwritten note, too.

photo

And I was reminded why I fell in love with him. And how I love him more everyday. And how I should pay a lot more attention to him than I do to my laptop.

I’ve posted about Billy many times. He makes me laugh everyday. If we’re arguing or there’s a negative tone occurring between us, he’s sure to lighten the situation.

Sometimes his randomness makes me laugh for no reason at all.

Like last night as I was watching Bachelor Brad hand out his final rose and Billy exclaimed,

“Hey Bird!  Scientists are trying to clone the woolly mammoth!”

WoolyMammoth

Then there’s the photo he emailed me a few days ago. It speaks for itself.

Billy really lives life. He doesn’t worry about what other people think, and at the same time he’s the most thoughtful, caring person I know.

What’s one thing about your significant other that you value?

I value Billy’s humor, intelligence, affection, positive attitude, etc.

If you’re not in a relationship, what’s one characteristic you are attracted to in another person?

Have you ever chased goats in the nude?

If so, I’ll give you Billy’s email address so y’all can bond.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

This is the cutest post ever!!! Seriously, it made my day!! I love the KISS YOUR HUSBAND messages everywhere. Girl, it makes me so happy to know that he treats you so well because even though I don’t know you in real life I feel like I do and I want nothing but the BEST for you in your life!!! Yay for Billy:) I might have to email the photo to my Billy today ha!! LOVE YOU!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Refueling with my favorites and what the heck is Beta Alenine

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Janae – you are such a doll! I think we both scored big with our Billys. Love YOU!

Lisa @ I'm an Okie January 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Oye. This post reminds me that I need to move on from my relationship. I’m just having a har dtime doing it.

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Lisa – I know there’s a level of uncertainty and sadness at the end of a relationship that can be so challenging. Thinking about you and praying for you to make the best decision for yourself and your future…which I know is very bright!

JenATX January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Moving on is not easy. Don’t feel bad for letting it take time…

Kate B. January 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love this post! It makes me smile to no end! I am going to spread your message, it is so simple, yet so important!

What I value about my long time boyfriend, Peter, is his humour and intelligence, amoung many other things. What I think is the most important is his ability to forget about the crazy things and focus on being a kid (in a good way) when we need it the most. If Peter had the opportunity to run nude with the goats I bet he would. Ha!

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks Kate! It sounds like Peter is a lot like Billy. It’s great to be with someone who can have fun and not take things too seriously. It definitely enhances my life as someone who can get caught up in unnecessary worry.

Stephanie January 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

I adore your posts! I’m so glad you two adore each other!

Ryan hasn’t chased goats in the nude *that I know of* but I wouldn’t put it past him. :)

Good reminder though to spend more time with the man than the computer. I got that *look* from across the room last night as I pounded away on my laptop.

Ryan’s greatest qualities are his zest for life, his humor, his intelligence, his work ethic, his friendship, his dimples and his smooches. Can you tell I love the man?
Stephanie recently posted..Wish It Was Sunday

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Stephanie!

I love the way you describe Ryan’s qualities – it’s very clear how much you love him and value your relationship and that make me so happy for you!!

Kristina @ spabettie January 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

I *LOVE* this… it took over as Favorite Post, edging out the dachshunds… :)

Billy sounds awesome, and I am so happy you two found each other.

Many of Billy’s characteristics (and antics!) sound like the same things I appreciate in Jason… he inserts light and levity when I am stressing, he’ll make up fun lyrics to a song or chase the pup around the house, yell out a noise for no reason at all (he’s not crazy, I promise) ;)

I value those things most of all… along with Jason’s intelligence (in awe of it, really…), his open mind, his big heart (not enlarged, he’s healthy!), and his Salt-Of-The-Earth ways… he is one in a million and I am INCREDIBLY lucky. … and so is he :)

XXO thanks for sharing, I love you guys!!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..no two are the same…

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm

awww, Kris! Billy is awesome.

I love the way you describe Jason – yelling out random noises and making up song lyrics – YES! These are the things that make life so fun and humorous. I’m SO, SO, SO glad you have that type of fun, lightheartedness in your relationship. No stuffiness. Glad he has a big (healthy) heart. ;)

I really can imagine the 4 of us having the time of our lives together with impromptu songs, games and good food, of course. And maybe some nude goat chasing. ?

Love you.

Kristina @ spabettie January 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

* baaa… BAAAA ! *
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..no two are the same…

Heather @ Heather's Dish January 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

I live my hubby’s sense of humor and passion, among other things. He is amazing!!!!

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Love the relationship you have with your husband. It’s so apparent how much of a team y’all are and I think that’s the best thing in the world. As a newlywed, your marriage inspires me and make me realize it just keeps getting better. :)

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

awww, you two are so cute!!

I love how my hubby is so helpful..he thinks about what I need before I even know what I need! He also has a sense of humor and makes me crap up from the weirdest things! But he is smart, hardworking, loving, a wonderful father..I could go on and on! :)
Caree @ Fit-Mama recently posted..Where it all started…

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Thanks Caree! I think once you have children, having a helpful husband is crucial! I’ve seen that with my sisters and friends with kids. And sense of humor is the best. It makes everyday life so much more fun.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

i love this :) and that is a hysterical photo!
Felicia (a taste of health with balance) recently posted..Probiotic Love

lindsay January 18, 2011 at 11:27 am

oh Billy, youre such a Doll! It really is a challenging yet exciting journey, right?!
My hubs makes me laugh everydays and always calls me “my love.” Its stuff like that that make me feel like a princess. Now I just need to work on making him feel more like a KING. hehe.
LC

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Linds – this is so precious! “My love” – too cute. I hope y’all found time to celebrate your anniversary. I’m sure you make him feel like a King with all the yummy, healthy meals you make him and all the support you give him during training. :)

RhodeyGirl January 18, 2011 at 11:36 am

Your husband sounds like a sweetie pie, and I love that you have such a nice marriage.
RhodeyGirl recently posted..The Best Chocolate Trifle Ever

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Sabrina! It’s always a pleasure to read about your relationship with PB. :)

Natalie January 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This post is such a lovely reminder to pay attention to all the details of our relationships with our dear ones! Thank you.

What I love about my husband, Greg…he has never-ending confidence in me; he loves my crazy family; he and I share a lust for helping people; he is energetic; and he is a hopeless romantic that showers me with affection! I’m a lucky lady :0)

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm

That’s so wonderful to have 100% support form your husband. Billy and I always build each other up and it boosts our confidence. It sounds like your husband is an amazing man and he’s lucky to have you, too!

CathyK January 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

what an imaginative guy billy is! that is too cute, all those “kiss your husband” notes.
i so admire that my husband does what makes him happy, works hard, and is the first guy to help someone when they need it. plus, we have a lot of fun just doing simple stuff…our current guilty pleasure is watching jersey shore!
CathyK recently posted..Congratulations- Class of 2010!

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I think it’s so admirable when people do what makes them happy! That’s a big goal for Billy and me. We want to spend our time doing something we love. Billy and I watch marathons of The Office. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I LOVE THIS POST!! It’s just beautiful- you two love each other so much and it’s so apparent, not only in the way you talk about him but in the photos of you together.

I value honesty, loyalty and dedication to something. It’s not necessary to have everything figured out, but having a passion besides each other is so important. And there can’t be a real relationship without trust!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Workout Goody

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Thanks G! You bring up a great point with trust – crucial! And I agree it’s important to be passionate about something. Billy and I have a lot of different passions and it’s fun to tell each other about them – keeps things interesting to have some independence and helps to teach the other person something new.

Kate@andwhenshesays January 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Love your relationship posts, Dorry. It is such a blessing to be in love with your best friend, isn’t it?! Sometimes I need to take a step back and truly process how amazing my fiance is (his patience, his strength, his unconditional love, just to name a few!) especially when things get tense and stressful. Planning a wedding is certainly one of those times, and sometimes I need to remind myself that it is a celebration of US, not about anyone else. And that it’s ONE DAY in our journey together, not something that deserves drama!
Kate@andwhenshesays recently posted..He had a dream

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Kate! My post today was me “taking a step back” and reminding myself how fortunate I am to have a husband and best friend like Billy. Your fiance sounds awesome. In my opinion, patience is so vital in relationships. I hope everything is going well with you wedding planning. It sounds like y’all are remembering that it’s a day for the two of you to celebrate the beginning of your marriage. I know everything will be perfect!

Ashley January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Awesome post! :)

One thing that I love about my husband is that he inspires me to dream! We dream together and he encourages me to do what I love to do. He’s got passion too!
Ashley recently posted..Snowshoeing!

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Ashley! I LOVE what you said about your husband inspiring you to dream. I think you just inspired my next post. :)

Lauren January 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Awww :))
Being intelligent and open minded to the world and its issues is what is probably the most important to me. I want to grow and have amazing conversation.

I have not chased goats nude…….. one day.
Lauren recently posted..Greek Bliss in a Bowl

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yes! Being open-minded is important. I’ve learned that lately because Billy and I have very different ideas about certain things, but what’s great is that we can share out viewpoints and learn something new.

I bet you’ll end up chasing some goats on one of your traveling adventures!

Kelli January 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

What a sweet post!! I feel the same exact way about my boyfriend. Even though he’s thousands of miles away, he still makes me feel special and beautiful and loved. Every. Single. Day. :)
Kelli recently posted..GTL

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Hi Kelli! My relationship with Billy started off long-distance (Dallas & NYC) and I think it allowed us the opportunity to be very creative with showing our interest and our love for each other. I have very special memories of our time apart. It was hard but I know it showed us how much we wanted to be together. I’m so glad your boyfriend makes you feel beautiful and loved everyday – you deserve that! :)

Kelli January 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

How funny! I’m in New York and the BF is in Austin. I hope our story turns out like you and Billy :)
Kelli recently posted..GTL

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Wow! I love NYC and Austin – 2 of my favorite cities in the world. Maybe our paths will cross in Austin one day. I hope your relationship turns out like ours, too! :)

Kelli January 20, 2011 at 8:58 am

I love Austin as well and can see myself ending up there eventually – you’re right, maybe our paths will cross someday. :)

By the way, the more I read your blog, the more I get hooked. I love today’s post about being a dreamer! I’m right there with ya girl.
Kelli recently posted..I am Brave

Emily January 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

You two are too cute.
Emily recently posted..Taipei Day 11- Jiufen

allison January 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm

i love the notes and invasion of the desktop- nice move billy! and sadly the goat comment makes me think taylor and billy would get along great!! ha! i really enjoyed this post dorry-what a special match the bird and the bee have:)
allison recently posted..enough

dorrybird January 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hilarious, right? He’s tricky. It absolutely made my day. Glad to know our husbands have something in common with goats – haha. We’ll have to be careful if we end up at a ranch together one day.

Lindsey @ Morningstar Project January 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I’m new to your blog and reading this made my day! I find many of my married friends, and even those who have been married for many years, get into the routine of complaining about their husbands. I adore my husband beyond what words can explain and I know he sends me back just as much love in return. I try to remind myself of how lucky I am to have such a great guy in my life, and from this post I can tell you are equally as grateful for your marriage :)
Lindsey @ Morningstar Project recently posted..Baby Dreams

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hi Lindsey! I love hearing how much you love your husband! It makes me sad that people fall into a routine of complaining about their spouses – somehow it’s socially “normal” and probably seen in a light, humorous way to many people, but the truth is that we should love and respect our spouses no matter what! Thanks for your comment!

Abby January 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

SO SWEET! I love Dave’s responsibility and attention to detail.

Sometimes I hate it though, too!

My friend calls marriage the “Ultimate Sanctification Process” which is SO TRUE.

Dave can SERIOUSLY drive me nuts. He makes me the most angry and the most sad…and also the most happy. But marriage is definitely God’s way of showing me all the sins in my life that i Need to work on. If I wasn’t married, I probably wouldnt work on them. I’m very thankful that Dave is that mirror for me!
Abby recently posted..Making Time

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 11:53 am

Love what you said about Dave being that mirror for you – giving you the chance to learn about yourself and be a better person. Billy and I drive each other crazy sometimes but at the end of the day, we couldn’t imagine life without each other.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Awww… you have SUCH A sweet and romantic husband!!! :) How cute.
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..General Tsao’s Tofu Tofu Fried Rice

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 11:53 am

He’s a doll and I’m very blessed to have him. We have our moments though! :)

Danielle January 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I love this post! I swear that Billy reminds me of Carl! I bet they would get along fabulously! We’ll have to take a trip over to ya’ll sometime so they can meet, too.

xoxox
Danielle recently posted..Just do it!

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 11:54 am

That would be so much fun! I know the 4 of us would have a blast together. xoxo

JenATX January 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Usually people talking about their significant others makes me feel a little uncomfortable & awkward. Maybe because my girl friends don’t really talk about their relationships in that way… but I didn’t feel uncomfortable reading this because you sound so genuine. Not showy. Not in your face either. Just genuine :)
What do I value in my significant other? Its kind of hard to explain but he is very considerate; whenever we go to a restaurant he makes sure I like the table we are sat at, whenever we go skiing he carries my poles, whenever he gets up from the couch he asks if I need anything. I don’t like the fact that he does stuff for me, just that he thinks of my needs :) Now that is not to say he can’t be a pill! We are both so passionate (aka stubborn) & we both want to be right (we’re both law students) which makes us butt heads sometimes haha

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 11:57 am

It sounds like your boyfriend is very considerate and thoughtful – those are important characteristics in my opinion. It’s a great feeling to know that you are being take care of!

Erin January 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

Such cute messages from Billy! Thanks for pointing out that you two drive each other nuts sometimes. Its nice to know that you are normal. ;)

Billy seems like he such a carefree person. Its a great personality to have around in life! :)
Erin recently posted..A little slice of college…

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm

We are both passionate and definitely drive each other crazy sometimes. I can’t imagine it any other way – otherwise someone’s holding back. The good news is that when he’s driving me crazy, he can usually do or say something that makes me laugh and everything else just goes away. :)

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

Ha, I never get tired of the Billy posts – you two are one of a kind ;)

I’ve never chased goats naked, but I certainly wouldn’t put it past D! Maybe they can bond about it one day…

I value D’s humor, drive, athletic abilities/passion, and ability to take in a moment for everything that it is. He reminds me to put technology away, and live in this world, right now. :)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..22 in 48- The RB Power

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Heather! I know you and D have a unique, active, loving, fun and exciting relationship. It seems you two are an absolute perfect match!

Evan Thomas January 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Um, your husband is Hysterical. And it’s great that you two are still so in love!

Missy Miller January 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm

When you hold a bee…what’s in your eye? Beauty

Beauty is in the eye of the bee-holder.

Go hold your husband and continue to see all the beauty this world has to offer….including your own beauty.

(And please keep sharing this cuteness…it’s like so cute it hurts.)
~Missy
Missy Miller recently posted..Caterpillar Eats and Deets

dorrybird January 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I love that! The bee-holder! I’m a full-time bee-holder. Thanks for tolerating my relationship posts. I’m sure many people find them to be cheesy, but they come from a very genuine place. :)