Combining 2 Loves

February 9, 2011

I feel the need to document the weather here in Dallas.  Yesterday afternoon, Billy and I went on a bike ride in the sunshine.  It was warm enough that Billy wore shorts.

DSC09804 DSC09810

This morning, we woke up to snow and it’s 15 degrees with below zero wind-chill.

DSC09828

So there’s that.  Now to the point.

I LOVE chocolate.  I LOVE avocados.  You can search around the blog world and find many recipes combining these 2 stellar ingredients.

Heather makes Hot Chocolate Soup.

Angela makes a Chilled Double Chocolate Torte.

Abby makes Mexican Chocolate Ogre Cookies.

And Katelyn makes Raw Chocolate Mousse.

It was about time I gave this combination a whirl.

You know you married the right person when he comes home with a bounty of avocados, each of which he has tested for ripeness to last throughout the week.

DSC09793

On Monday, I posted about the chocolate peanut butter cups I made for Billy.  His 2nd birthday dessert was Belgian chocolate mousse from Whole Foods, lovingly purchased by our dear friend who hosted Billy’s birthday dinner last Friday.

DSC09801 DSC09825

Since I eat a dairy-free diet, I thought I’d make a vegan chocolate mousse. After looking up several recipes, I went with some ingredients I had on hand.

DSC09814

1/2 avocado

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 tablespoon raw sugar (or your sweetener of choice – honey, agave, etc.)

1/4 tablespoon cinnamon

splash of pure vanilla extract

dark chocolate chips

DSC09816 DSC09820

After processing for a minute, I added a splash of almond milk to help smooth the consistency, which still had more texture than a regular mousse, but very creamy.  I enjoyed it this way, but you could run your blender/food processor a minute or so longer for a smoother consistency.

DSC09822

I put mine in the freezer for a few minutes before eating it for dessert.  I loved it!  The addition of cinnamon and vanilla gave it some depth.  I think it would be great with banana for natural sweetness in place of the raw sugar.  The possibilities are endless.

Have you ever used avocado in a sweet recipe?

Do you live in a place where the weather changes rapidly?

What’s your favorite cold weather accessory?

I think gloves are my #1 because my hands are always cold.  But if I put my hands in my pockets, I’d say a warm hat!  And I have about 40 scarves/pashminas.

If you haven’t already, please enter my Choco-Lotta-Love giveaway!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 9, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love scarves. Wear them everyday all day – even inside the house. It’s amazing how much they help keep you warm.

Although the Whole Foods Belgian chocolate mousse sounded delicious, I think I’d be happier with your avocado version. :)

Dallas sounds just as crazy as Nashville. We’re do for more snow today…I’m so ready for spring!
Heather Eats Almond Butter recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- The Avocado Edition

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I love scarves, too! Seriously have a million. My favorites have been washed a million times and feel like baby blankets. :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Your mousse looks divines, girl! Thank you for linking back, you are a sweetheart!! I have tried making my mousse with banana and no sweetener, and it was SO good! I loved the banana flavor in it:)

I am so jealous of your sunny weather! I wish I could bust out my shorts but that is a no-go in sub-arctic temps:( Scarves to the rescue!:)
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Indulgence Friday

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m definitely going to try it with banana next time – one of my favorite combos. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

I did this ALL the time over the summer, just using cocoa powder, avocado and agave…it’s DELICIOUS, isn’t it? And SO filling and satisfying!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Sweaty Situation

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I loved it! Excited to make it again. A little goes a long way and I really savored it. I’m going to add bananas next time!

Lisa @ I'm an Okie February 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

I live in Oklahoma. Rapid weather changes is the name of the game….much like Dallas :).

Caree @ Fit-Mama February 9, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have never made anything sweet with avocodo before. Definitely a great idea though! Definitely getting some healthy fats in there!

It was soo beautiful here yesterday, I got in a good run outside. I hope this is the last artic blast here in Dallas!!

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I’m glad you got in a run before these freezing temps blew in. It’s crazy how quickly things can change. I’m feeling under the weather today which isn’t too surprising with all the fluctuation! Lots of tea & rest today. Blah.

CathyK February 9, 2011 at 10:11 am

i have finally figured out how to keep warm! i can’t pick just one accessory that is best! i need my toque, thermal shirt and longjohns, hoodie, ski jacket, track pants, wool socks…if i miss any of those, i get cold! crazy weather changes for you! we’re deep in winter here…”cold” is here for the next while!
love the avacado recipe!!! i need to experiment – so far, i just make guac or cut up avacado on salad.
have a great day!
CathyK recently posted..A Super Super Bowl Party

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I love that you have it down to a science! In Dallas, we typically have few days that are below freezing, so it leaves some of us (ahem) unprepared. It’s so important to stay warm and I’m relaxing it’s possible with the right combination of layers. :)

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com February 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

thats so interesting with the avocado…i wanna try that sometime. maybe today since we’re snowed in again? hah
amy@healthyhungryhappy.com recently posted..Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Ugh – sick of the cold! I’m feeling sick today – no fun. Hoping it doesn’t last long. I think we’ll have sunshine again tomorrow and into the weekend!

Kristina @ spabettie February 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

Mmm, I love this kind of mousse… the naturopath clinic I used to run had a full kitchen for awesome cooking classes, and this was always one of my favorites, and I’d offer to “clean the vitamix” that day…

Portland weather is generally fairly mild… we do have some crazy temperature changes but usually nothing extreme involving snow one day and shorts weather the next!! :) (although I would regularly SKI in my shorts, as long as I was bundled up on top!!)
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..earthy goodness

Stephanie February 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have envy of your fruit basket! I just bought a new basket for the kitchen specifically for my avocados. I think I’ll write them a love song. :)

That mousse looks so good. I wonder if some cocunut flakes on top would be tasty??
Stephanie recently posted..Time Test Tuesdays

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Yes – an ode to avocado love song. Please record and post a video to your blog. You have some great backup singers and a cameraman. I bet coconut would be delicious on top!

Basil @ spabettie February 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

nevermind… my mama wants to retract the previous weather statement… we were just outside for our run (yes, this doxie runs!) and it is icy. :)
Basil @ spabettie recently posted..earthy goodness

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Hahaha. I love that Basil runs with you. Too cute. Hope y’all were careful in the ice! I find myself feeling invincible at times, but have slipped and fallen on my bum more times than I should admit.

lindsay February 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

i love my avocado mousse! Great recipe, as always! It is so nice to feel such nourishment from our foods. Stay warm up there! I think moter nature is depressed!
LC
lindsay recently posted..The Weekend Special

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Mother nature is bipolar! The ups and downs with temps have left me under the weather. BLAH.

Hillary February 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Great recipe! My mama made me a chocolate avo cake for my 21st birthday =]

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Oh yes! I remember that now! I bet it was delicious.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com February 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

GORGEOUS WEATHER!!! I am coming down to visit asap! That recipe looks amazing. I have never tried avocado in a sweet recipe….I can’t wait to make this! I am so jealous of your stash of avocado’s:) Love ya girl!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I Love You

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

We are going to have sunshine all weekend – come on down! :)

Michelle February 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I live in New England, the land of changing weather ;) I do love gloves, but I really love my knitted hats! And scarves. I guess I just love it all.

I haven’t tried avocado in a sweet recipe but it looks great. Can’t wait to try it!
Michelle recently posted..What’s your color

dorrybird February 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm

The fun winter accessories make up for the icy roads and dry skin, but I have to admit, I’m ready for springtime! :)

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous February 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I am SICK of this weather around here. My office was closed again today and I’m still not caught up from last week! Ugh.

Missy Miller February 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m very intrigued!
I LOVE how Bee does that with the ‘cadoes. …You can see there is a perfect balance of some now…some later.
Wow.
You are a dynamic duo! I am SOOO glad you met thim that day.
Missy Miller recently posted..Look What I Found!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run February 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

How smart!! I never would’ve thought to use an Avocado like that :) Looks like I have some Food Processor experimenting to do…
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Tejas Style