Bird’s Eats

April 12, 2011

This is my 2nd week participating in Jenn’s What I Ate Wednesday, documenting some of my eats from the past week. I wrote yesterday about my current busy factor, and things are only going to get busier. My fitness and nutrition are not only still a priority, but actually more so, considering my needs for energy and endorphins.

300pxcoloriconpurplesvg

SUSHIbutton12-1

300pxcoloriconpurplesvg

It is time consuming to plan healthy meals and snacks, but I’ve been doing it for so many years that it comes naturally to me. With that said, some eats for the past week included more salads, the one below from Whole Foods for a 1st lunch. I eat 4-6 times a day which works well for me since I workout 1-2 times most days.

Whole Foods has the best oil-free carrot ginger salad dressing.

DSC01006 DSC01008

Green smoothie in a bowl. On a bike seat. With a homemade chocolate chip cookie dough bar. I cannot get enough of this flavor combo since the first time I made it.

DSC01093 DSC01094DSC01095

Sometimes the simplest salad is all I crave – field greens with avocado, and I eat sweet potatoes in some form at least twice a week. With ketchup, of course.

DSC01131 DSC01136

When I’m craving a large portion, I make something like lentils and steamed broccoli, dressed lightly with red wine vinegar, spicy mustard, and nutritional yeast.

DSC01153

Billy cooks almost every night, but most of his meals include a meat entrée. However, sometimes he makes a glorious fish dish, and shares some bites with his Bird wife.

Seared tuna and sautéed zucchini topped with field greens and avocado slices.

DSC01157

And if I haven’t made it clear on the blog, I have a serious sweet tooth. I rarely crave baked goods, so some of my favorite choices are Bare Fruit dried mango…

DSC01139 DSC01142DSC01140

And my latest favorite trio: raw almonds, strawberries, and dark chocolate chips.

DSC01146

300px-Color_icon_green_svg

What’s your favorite fruit and nut combo?

Dried apricots or dates with raw almonds or walnuts. And dried cherries with roasted almonds. And dried cranberries with pistachios.

Do you eat many times throughout the day?

Typically, I eat something small within an hour of waking up in the morning, followed by a small meal mid-morning, another meal around 1:00PM, a snack around 4:00PM, dinner at 7:30ish, and something sweet to end the night.

Happy Wednesday, friends. Make the most of your day.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 13, 2011 at 9:08 am

dates with pecans–its like eating pecan pie, but better! also dates with cashews and almonds.. i’m addicted to medjools :) and dried mango. and pineapple. i eat about 4-6 times a day too, works best for me!
Felicia (a taste of health with balance) recently posted..some tidbits

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 13, 2011 at 9:26 am

I LOVE green smoothies!! And that broccoli+lentil bowl looks AMAZING!!

Dates+cashews is my FAVE combo!! I love processing them to make cookie dough balls :)

I eat every few hours or I turn into a hungry BEAST! :P
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Missing things

rebecca lustig April 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

oh my gosh i totally forgot about the carrot ginger dressing until you reminded me! i used to LOVE it!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

I usually eat 4-5 times per day, sometimes I need a snack in the morning but most of the time I can wait until lunch. If I’m busy at work I can skip it, but if I’m kind of bored I find myself reaching for food!

Honestly I love dried fruit with nuts in general — lately I’d been having cashews with dried cranberries and that tastes so good! But I really just love salty/sweet tastes overall.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

Jess April 13, 2011 at 10:00 am

Two things – I love lentils but ALWAYS forget to buy them/make them. They are really good on top of salads I’ve found! And second – that tuna looks amazing. I have never attempted to make it myself but now I want to! I’m with you – I tend to eat three meals and two snacks a day for the most part. I try to listen to hunger cues and only eat when hungry. Tends to work well, ‘cept when the sweet tooth rears it’s ugly head ;)
Jess recently posted..And this is why I love blogging

Stephanie April 13, 2011 at 10:08 am

Roasted cashews, roasted almonds, dried cherries, and sunflower seeds! NOM NOM!

I eat three small meals a day and two medium snacks. It works for me! :)
Stephanie recently posted..Tofu and Mushroom Lettuce Cups

CathyK April 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

my goodness, we have many of the same food preferences, dorry! i love salad w avacado, for example – so tasty!
i like to eat 5-6 times per day. mini meals work for my schedule and for my temperament.
i don’t like dried fruits – of any type, not even raisins. i DO like dark chocolate chips!
i so agree – the busier the schedule gets, the more important good nutrition becomes! enjoy your day!
CathyK recently posted..Is there a difference Can you see a difference

lindsay April 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

I think I had that same salad today. Love all things Dorry style! And the green smoothie with cookie dough, well thats just perfect!
xxoo
LC
lindsay recently posted..Lessons Learned

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

I seriously need to remember to make lentils more often. Love them.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Double Workout – Legs and Yard Work

Susan (Oliepants) April 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

I love green smoothies – in a bowl! I think I never know what I did the time before so they all taste different. I like it that way.

Oh Billy Billy Billy – I might be in love with him and that tuna! :)
Susan (Oliepants) recently posted..Mojo

Christin@purplebirdblog April 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Those sweet potatoes are making my mouth water… and that TUNA?! Um… I’ll be there in 3 hours. ;)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Long Post and a Giveaway

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I always do mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks – not much of a grazer, I like my healthy/full meals! :) Favorite fruit/nut combo = apples or pears + pecans, or bananas + pb (butter form counts, yes? ha)

Bee really gets fancy with his meals!! I’d love to see more of his fish creations – I never have a clue what to do with most fish!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Basil Black Bean Burgers

JenATX April 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I think peanuts & cranberries are my fav… sometimes I’ll go crazy & throw in some chocolate chips, which makes the combo even better of course

Missy April 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I almost got that dressing! Now I’ll have to try it.
And Billy made some good looking tuna…(sound weird)
I am also very impressed at your courage….blancing the bowl on the bike seat? That takes guts. (well you’re always brave, but you know).
Missy recently posted..God’s Book Deal

Kris April 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

the lentils + broccoli look great! I generally eat 4-5 times a day, although SOME days it seems like I’m bottomless and I am hungry ALL day!
Kris recently posted..big brother you- little sister me

allison April 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm

your sweet potatoes are giving me a craving:) nom nom!

hope to see you soon- doing the 9:30am bikram friday if you want to join me-

xo-
av
allison recently posted..TV tuesday

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm

so jealous of your WF access =) and ohmygosh seared tuna! I need a bite. like now!! =)

You have the same sweet tooth as me! I don’t go for baked stuff very often and its usually fruit, dried fruit, or the occasional chocolate chip pancakes =) But since its easter cadburry eggs keep winding up in my face. haha!

xoxo
Happy WIAW!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Favorite fruit and nut combo? Strawberries and pecans in a spinach salad. So simple and summery. The fish Billy made for you looks absolutely INCREDIBLE…I’m always scared to cook seafood myself, so having someone prep that dish for me would be divine!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Striking a Balance Or Not

Isabella April 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I wish I could eat small meals but, I am in a position where I can’t sneak food in front of my teachers during class!
Soaked almonds with a fresh banana. I am not always crazy for dried fruit, it seems to be too sweet for me.

Just wondering, is anybody (especially Birdy) doing the Heels and Hills Run? There is a 5k, 10k, and half marathon.

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

dates are seriously the best thing that ever happened to healthy eating & a sweet tooth.

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Yes! My food processor has gotten a lot of use making raw cookie dough. SO good. I’m not sure how I ever lived without it. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

It’s SO good! I want to make my own at home.

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I am the same way – busy at work and I practically forget to eat, but then find myself starving for my next meal…so I try to eat every 2-3 hours.

I love sweet & salty, too. Sea salted dark chocolate with almonds holds a special place in my heart. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I love them on top of salads, too! The texture works really well. Billy is simply not afraid to cook fish and he gets very creative. Listening to hunger cues is key! I feel hungry every 2-3 hours depending on my workouts, but sometimes I’m not hungry and I don’t force myself to eat – you really have to listen to your body. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Sunflower seeds – yes! I need to add them to my rotation. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Avocado is good on just about everything in my opinion! I’ve been known to add it to baked potatoes and pasta dishes. :)

If we ever meet, we’ll have salads with avocado, dark chocolate chips for something sweet and I’ll buy you your 1st kombucha!

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I think we could eat all of our meals together and be very happy! I’m going to make some more cookie dough bars so you can taste them. So good it’s ridiculous.

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

They are so good, so easy and a good source of protein!

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Billy’s kitchen skills are really quite fabulous! He has natural talent and no fear of failure, so he gets creative and it pays off. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm

If you ever come to Dallas, I’ll have chef Billy whip up a seared tuna dish just for you! And you can make us buckwheat bakes in the morning. (Because clearly we’d have a slumber party and wear purple pajamas and talk about birds…)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I’m not much of a grazer either – I find it throws everything off for me. Except on holidays and family dinners – then I usually graze a bit. :)

I’ll post more pictures of Bee’s fish dishes!

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Roasted peanuts are so good, especially fresh ones out of the shell! Yum. And chocolate chips make everything better.

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

The dressing is so good! I want to make my own at home. Billy is a kitchen whiz with no fear! And I’m not sure how to explain it, but the way the bike props against the wall (in our living room, of course) makes for a sturdy surface in the natural sunlight. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm

You and me both! I have bottomless days, too. I always have. My family jokes that I have a hollow leg because I can consume a lot of food!

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I work Friday at 9:00AM so I can’t make Bikram, but I’ll see you soon for sure! I’m thinking about CrossFit tomorrow…although my abs, arms and shoulders are so sore from yesterday – I need to push through it! :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Billy makes a mean fish dish! It’s a serious skill. Seasonal treats like Cadbury eggs are just necessary. I always get excited when it’s time for pumpkin pie. I have no craving for it until October. :)

dorrybird April 13, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I’ve been on a strawberry kick lately! I forget about pecans sometimes and get stuck on almonds and walnuts. I need to pick some up – I love them! Billy is a seafood whiz. I should have him do some posts on the ways he prepares it because it’s really not hard even though it seems intimidating.

Christin@purplebirdblog April 13, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I definitely don’t have enough slumber parties in my life… this must become a reality! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..WIAW- These Are the Days of My Eats

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Oh that salmon looks amazing! I need to make those bars. :)

I love dried apricots + chocolate pb.

I eat typically three times + snacks. With the kids its easier to have some structure and we love dinner time most of all. :)

Emily April 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

That seared tuna is making me hungry!! For dessert, I like chocolate chips, pecans (my favorite nut), and bananas. Alex doesn’t find that to be an adequate dessert, though. :-)
Emily recently posted..this week in photos