A Hunter of Blessings

April 26, 2011

Yesterday afternoon, we said goodbye to this:

DSC01418 DSC01426DSC01522 DSC01425

And drove through rain and traffic, coming home to frustration. We found smelled our kitchen sink disposal broken, our cable box was fried from a thunderstorm, and my laptop was frozen…and black, then it crashed.

“Get me out of here.”

I had plans to go to yoga, but just yesterday, the recurring pain in my shoulder reappeared (from an unstable joint that dislocates). No chatarangas for me. I pouted for a minute, but decided to go for a run instead while listening to my inspirational playlist. My iPod was dead. Not dead as in “needs to be charged”, but kaput.

“You’ve got to be kidding.”

I literally jumped on my bike. My trusty bike. And I rode fast and furious, clearing my head. And when I got home, Billy was working on scanning my laptop for viruses, and he’d charged an extra iPod that I didn’t know existed (and it’s pink!) for me to use.

“Get a grip, Dorry. These frustrations are miniscule. Count your blessings.”

300pxcoloriconpurplesvg

Billy and I enforced our new rule of no electronics in bed, and we both read books for almost an hour last night, tiring our eyes. And appropriately, I chose to read a book that my mom gave me yesterday morning before she left the lake house. It appeared to be a cheesy hardback mini book that you find next to the checkout at a bookstore.

She asked me to “please read it with an open heart.”

300pxcoloriconpurplesvg

“We determine whether something will be a blessing or a curse by the way we choose to see it.”

DSC01595

“Become a hunter of blessings, actively seeking them out in every experience and every person you encounter.”

DSC00882

“May a rainbow follow every storm…and with each passing day may you live more abundantly than the day before.”

(Imagine a rainbow photo here.) It’s taken me a humorous amount of time to publish this post. I’ve restarted my computer 3 times as it continues to freeze every few minutes, this time when I tried to upload a photo.

300pxcoloriconpurplesvg

Is the book mushy? Maybe. But it’s also a perfect combination of words to change a frustrated perspective. Thanks, Mom.

How do you deal with life’s little frustrations? Laugh? Cry? Ride a bike?

Please tell me your all-time favorite flavor of ice cream.

Growing up, I loved Strawberry, Cookies ‘n’ Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip.

I think yoga before my afternoon shift might be mandatory today…I’m off to assess the shoulder. Today, I will be a hunter of blessings.

Kris April 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

I hope most of all that your shoulder gets better quick!

I love how quickly you can find the right perspective, Dorry! of course, our first reaction is frustration, but even in frustration you chose a POSITIVE way to vent or release it – on your trusty bike! :D

I love when things happen for a reason – serendipitous that your mom gave you that book on this day. and another positive is that you really will do the ‘no electronics’ rule! I know you’ve been breaking that one… ;)

XXO hope today is BEAUTIFUL !
Kris recently posted..Earth Day

Kris April 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

oh! almost forgot the most important issue!

Tillamook chocolate peanut butter :D
Kris recently posted..Earth Day

dorrybird April 26, 2011 at 10:02 am

We’ve seriously been breaking that one since day 1! But no more. We made a pact. We let it go too long, but we really need that quiet time together in bed at night…without the buzzing of electronics. And I slept SO MUCH better last night after falling asleep from simple readcng rather than stimulating glow of my laptop. :) Thanks for your sweet comment. Today will be a good day! xoxo

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

It’s all about perspective – something I’ve learned to love and deal with over the past 8 transitional months. :)

We only do books/talking in bed, too. No phones, no computers, definitely no TV! It makes it that much easier to relax.

I typically deal with frustrations with a few deep breathes, inner dialogue, and if I can – a run, walk, or just stretch. Anything helps! Fave ice-cream flavor- Mint Chocolate Chip!!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Mantras- Choose- Say- Repeat

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com April 26, 2011 at 10:40 am

I am so sorry that all of those things happened….SO FRUSTRATING!!! I am praying for your shoulder because I know how much you LOVE YOGA and you are so talented at it. LOVE the quote about seeing things as curses or blessings, it really is all about perspective!!
I am thinking about you!!!
Chocolate chip cookie dough for sure!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Girls date without ice cream

cathy April 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

wow, do i LOVE this post, dorry. you have really struck a chord with me, today, and i thank you for your “deep thoughts.”
first off: chocolate chip ice cream is my life-long favourite. unbeatable!
second: so sorry to hear of your shoulder woes AND all the little frustrations you came home to! yikes…so kind of billy to step in to help save the day. i totally understand how you just felt the need to get on your bike. i find a workout really diminishes my frustrations, too, and helps me think and find perspective.
reading before bed is the best! i just started “the help” and look forward to bedtime just to read!

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt April 26, 2011 at 11:00 am

Ugh…I have those days/weeks where nothing seems to be going my way. I always try to make an effort to do something fun or enjoyable to just try to brighten my spirits even for a few minutes.

Pistachio ice cream is my fave fave fave!

lindsay April 26, 2011 at 11:13 am

this is such a powerful quote! I will need to post that on my fridge. Thank you for sharing. Sometimes its all the little annoyances that makes us sit back and look and the bigger picture. Like how you have thoughtful husband who takes care of you or how you can escape and get fresh air on your bike. Praying for your shoulder. Maybe some good old icy hot! hehe.
lindsay recently posted..High Dosage of “D”

Jess April 26, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Ohhh “hunter of blessings” – LOVE the sounds of that! And something I think I could definitely do more of…focusing on the blessings in life vs. the little things that drive us bonkers (like dead iPods, broken disposals, etc. – BOO!). I hope your shoulder heals up and you can get your chatarunga-on soon, my friend. And hmmm ice cream? Black rasberry chocolate chip frozen yogurt. YUM.
Jess recently posted..Two good things Tuesday

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I usually cry or laugh when I’m frustrated. Or I stomp around and scream and then get over it.

Dorry I love your always positive attitude — I’d be hurling my computer and ipod out the window — instead you choose to focus on your blessings. I love that!

Favorite ice cream: Hands down cookies and cream.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

sarah (sarah learns) April 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

oh man, so many things going wrong! you dealt with it pretty well i’d say though…i’m definitely an ice cream person than a ride my bike person in those situations.

and my favorite flavor of ice cream is blue moon!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..monday mini’s and first dinner

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh poor you!! But as always I LOVE your outlook!! You are so inspirational!! Those quotes are AMAZING and I’m going to write them down so I don’t forget :)

Fave flavour= cookie dough! And I’m going to pray your shoulder is okay so you can do your yoga!!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Featured Athlete- Allison from Runs A Latte!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Sounds like someone is saying give up electronics period! Wow. I’ll admit that when I have a ton thrown at me all at once, I get really grouchy. I really really try to find the humor or the upside, but sometimes it can be tough – especially right at the beginning.

When I was a kid it was Rocky Road all the way. Now, pecans and praline.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Fun Facts Friday – Running Randomness

Clare @ Fitting It All In April 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I always try to put the situation into perspective – easier said than done!
And I’m a mint chocolate chip ice cream girl:)
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..It Makes Me Feel Better

Caree @ Fit-Mama April 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I am so sorry about your shoulder! You have such a positive attitude, I love it!!

Abby April 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm

ohhhh do I understand frustrations! Dave’s Jeep seems to be dead. We’re at one car and I don’t work in a convenient location, so we’re having trouble juggling this. And seeing that we just bought a house, there’s not really money for another car!! Frustrating, yes! But I remember how God totally provided for us the last time we needed a car. God is so faithful to His children.. ALL THE TIME. It’s not like we only get one car miracle in our lives. God always, ALWAYS provides! What I have to remind myself is that He doesn’t always provide in the way we expect (or want!) or on our time schedule. So I’m practicing patience for now!

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I bet it’s a wonderful book. :)

I feel like hunting for blessings is a full-time job for me. :) One I take up with enthusiasm.

I love mint chocolate chip but anything chocolate makes me happy!

Missy Miller April 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Hope your shoulder feels better…if not..um…consider it a blessing? You an’t cook so Billy has to serve you dinner?
Missy Miller recently posted..Any Given Sunday

Monique April 26, 2011 at 7:52 pm

These are gorgeous pictures! I love my pink iPod btw :) yay. Hopefully your shoulder gets better soon!!
Monique recently posted..Week 16- Wine Tasting in Sonoma

Christin@purplebirdblog April 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

Oh Dorry, I wish I could give you a big ol’ hug!!! There is nothing better to get frustrations out than pounding out miles on my bike! And I’m not above a hard cry either… so therapeutic somtimes! Love you, lady! xoxo
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..WIAW- Birthday Edition