Maximize & Relaximize

May 10, 2011

I’ve written about busyness and balance in the life of Bird & Bee. We enjoy spending time cooking and hanging out at home, but one of my favorite ways to spend time with Billy is at the park. On a blanket. With books. And a snack. My camera, too. No distractions from laptops, laundry, or lists of to-dos. Those things can wait.

300px-Color_icon_blue.svg

A bike ride, sunshine, bare feet, apple snacks, peace and quiet. Pure relaxation.

We were sure to take our Zyrtec.

DSC02070 DSC02074 DSC02068DSC02084 DSC02086 DSC02081DSC02088 DSC02078DSC02087

We really make it a point to maximize our time together. I’m thankful that we share this common love for bike rides and park pallets. It reminds me of our time Belize.

The trees and the views were a bit different there…

DSC05537DSC02077 DSC02075

But we still find the calm we’re seeking.

300px-Color_icon_blue.svg

Where do you find your calm?

What’s one way you maximize your time?

What’s your favorite beach experience/vacation?

Ibiza was pretty spectacular. Posts here: Beautiful Ibiza, Ibiza: Beaches & Nightlife, Lazy Day in Ibiza

Click HERE to enter my GU Energy & Love Grown Foods granola giveaway!

cathy May 10, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh, what a beautiful park to zen out in!!
There’s something about lying out on a blanket, listening to the leaves rustle and the birds sing that is just SO relaxing and centring.
I am not picky when it comes to beaches! I adore beaches! My faves would have to in sarasota florida, and aruba.
Luckily, waterloo park is right across from where I live; I can walk or sit out any time. It’s lovely!
Have a great day, dorry! Thanks for the beautiful photos of your special parks.

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Aruba looks like an incredible beach! We have several beautiful parks right near us as well…just a very short bike ride from home. It’s going to be too hot in Dallas to really enjoy being outside in Dallas without a pool nearby. :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Reading at the park sounds so relaxing! And what a beautiful day too!

I find my calm when I’m at home — reading a book, taking a bath, eating dinner with Jason, etc. I feel very safe and loved at home so I usually feel very calm!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Pizza Bread

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm

That’s lovely! I just told Billy tonight when we both got home from work that I LOVE our home. I wish I could spend more time here. Ha.

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

Gorgeous pictures! I love beach time. I don’t really have a specific moment, I love them all. We set up our umbrellas and chairs and just relax the majority of the day. Sometimes we read, sometimes we just stare at the ocean. Either way, it’s so relaxing.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Sunny Patio Kind of Weekend

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Umbrellas are key! These days I’m much more about the shade. I get my sun from taking walks on the beach instead of laying out for hours like I used to. :)

Kris May 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

ah – beautiful photos and lovely day! I think as much as I go Go GO, I also have relaxation mastered :D we are currently in the middle of our vacation, and aside from VERY brief check – ins with my favorite blogs, we are unplugged and untethered. I have my phone with addresses for things we’re doing, and the gps and that’s about it!

this is going to sound cheeseBALL, but honestly, I find my calm when I am with Jason. he really is my soother.
Kris recently posted..grilled fajita tacos

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm

You ARE SPAbettie, so relaxation is your 2nd nature! Or maybe your 1st? :) Thanks for checking in with me while you and Jason are on vacation! Makes me feel loved. Please enjoy every minute of your time away!

And not cheeseball – I feel the same way about Bee. I rarely take naps, but the only time I do is when he’s next to me. He’s calming in those moments for sure. xoxo

lindsay May 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

oh I like that word….relaximize! so clever. Bike rides and picnics and reading are the perfect way to enjoy each other and the day! I love how you all are always outdoors.
I want to go to Belize someday, what a beautiful place!
lindsay recently posted..Fresh Friday

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Relaximize is what I’m working on these days! Being productive, but still making time for relaxation. You and James would love Belize! Let’s add it to our list of places to travel together. I still want to go on a cruise with you and Janae!

Jess May 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

Ahh!! This post makes me SO HAPPY. I am dying to start picknicing with my husband…just waiting for the darn weather to cooperate. That looks like a wonderful afternoon to me – just awesome. Perfect, peaceful, just right. Love.
Jess recently posted..Honesty Honestly

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

We’ve had some good picnicking weather here, but it’s starting to be TOO HOT now. So sad. Spring comes and goes quickly in Texas. But there’s always poolside picnics. :)

Caree @ Fit-Mama May 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

We took a bike ride this weekend and took a break at a park too but I didnt get the R&R like you did…I was chasing two little ones around…but I definitely wouldn’t have it any other way, it is still a way for me to relax and enjoy the special moments that I have with my family!

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’ve spent time at parks with my nieces, and it’s definitely ACTIVE! But so much fun. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I could SO use a little getaway like that right now. Instead my getaway is blog reading because I can’t very well leave while the kids nap. Darn. ;)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflection- Stop Fat Talk

Lindsey May 10, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love the photos and glad to hear I’m not the only allergy sufferer out there!
I love grilling out and sitting on our patio together during the summer. Long photography walks also calm me down and make me remember to smile :)
Lindsey recently posted..Half Marathon Rundown

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Oh, Billy and I both have terrible allergies lately! Thankfully it’s not all year, but April was terrible for us. Zyrtec to the rescue. :) I LOVE photography walks….even just in my neighborhood, but especially when we’re traveling.

(what runs) Lori May 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

What awesome photos. I like the creativity of them. :) And the calmness and enjoyment they show!

Where do I find my calm…? Um… in a book? Not sure. Maybe exercise!

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I find calm in exercise, too! Especially yoga these days, but a good outdoor run can really clear my head as well. :)

allison May 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

i need to put down my phone, laptop, email- let it all go and enjoy some sunshine outdoors-thanks for the reminder dorry! i love picnics and reading time at a local park too!

lists are my number one time organizer. i have to make my to do list in the morning and cross it off- otherwise i will never get anything done:)

my favorite beach vacation was my honeymoon with tv in antigua – in the british virgin isles. i cried like a baby on our balcony when it was time to leave:(
allison recently posted..can you dig it

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I feel like you and Taylor probably love the same things as Billy and me! It’s just a matter of putting other things aside to actually get out there and make time to relax. :) I’m with you 100% on lists. It’s almost comical. Ooooh, Antigua! I bet that was amazing.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm

My favorite beach is probably the one in Ocean City, NJ, where my family has had a house my whole life. It’s kinda dingy and tacky, but I love it!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Rough Night

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Those types of memories are hard to beat!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run May 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm

That park looks soooo lovely and relaxing! That’s how D like to spend our spring/summer days, too. Anything that gets us outside – walking/running/riding, picnics, just hanging out at the park, hiking, or finding a place to sit & eat & enjoy the company of friends on a patio!

I don’t think I’ve been to enough beaches to claim a favorite, but Hawaii is pretty hard to beat (so calm and secluded)!

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm

HIKING! I so wish Bee and I could go hiking somewhere near us. Hawaii is beautiful! I’ve been once in 7th grade, but I remember being amazed by how pretty it was there.

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses May 10, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Looks like a beautiful day! We love parks too. Ryan is too fidgety to sit still for very long unless it’s been a long day and we find the shade. :) Our favorite thing to do when we snag some alone time and when there’s nothing on the agenda is to go camping at our favorite site where we can hit up the trails. Being a young mama…I haven’t taken any vacations but this year I’m headed to Minnesota (exotic, right?) for a week long vacation with my entire family at a resort on a lake. I’m really looking forward to it.

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Minnesota lake resort sounds pretty incredible to me! It’s just nice to get away from home with the family. I’m not a big camper, but I’d be up for it if Billy ever suggested it. :)

Missy May 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I want to come! But even if you invited me I would say NO because this time you have with your man is so beautiful!
My calm?
The beach…nothing like falling asleep (under an umbrella) with the sound of the waves. Really it is so weird. You wake up like 10 minutes before you “wake up” it is like lucid dreaming.
We’ll do that if/when you come to South Florida…unless you have Bee with you.Then I will make you two go alone (and you can stay at my place and I will go to Mom and Dad’s…just saying. Free boarding in Fort Lauderdale if you need it. I mean it, Dori.)
Missy recently posted..Buddha’s Birthday Bibimbap Lazy White Vegetarian Girl Style

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The waves! That really is the most calming thing in the world, right? There’s a reason that noise is on sound machines that people use to fall asleep. :) Ooooh, I’d love to come to Florida!

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt May 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I love park days! The BF and I love to take Korky to the park to relax, read and just enjoy each other’s company.

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I love that you called him BF here. I only know him as the Scientist. ;)

Tropical Eats May 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm

awwwww nothing beats a day in the park!

so relaxing and stress free :)

anything outdoorsy always puts me at ease. Hope to see you soon, friend!
Tropical Eats recently posted..Self Workout in the Park

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

You have the best parks EVER in NYC!

Briana @ AuDRunner May 11, 2011 at 7:31 am

I find my calm in nature as well. Walking through the woods changes my mood like nothing else!

I love Belize, it’s an amazing place, I met my current boyfriend there, he lived there for about 3 years and we can’t wait to go back.

dorrybird May 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Amazing! Where did he live in Belize? Billy and I lived in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Beautiful island. :)

Briana @ AuDRunner May 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm

He worked as a Peace Corp volunteer and lived in a small village called Blue Creek in the Toledo district. We met in Punta Gorda. He has traveled to Ambergris Caye and I really hope we can visit there, it looks wonderful.