Things I Learned in NYC, Part 2

September 2, 2011

Happy Friday! And 2nd day of September. I love this time of year…

Things I Learned in NYC, Part 1

WIAW: The New York Palace edition

20100209204159!Color_icon_yellow

Billy has his very own brand of honey.

DSC03909 DSC03910

Love Grown Foods granola is sold at my new favorite market.

DSC03908 DSC03861

The New York Palace gives welcome bags, including Jelly Belly candies. Star

DSC03919 DSC03920

I’m quite happy with a white, fluffy king-sized bed, and a hotel that provides a quality hairdryer. Can’t remember the last time I packed a hairdryer.

DSC03911 DSC03917

Cappuccino? Check. Espresso? Check. Red wine? Check. Ceramic dog? Check.

DSC03939 DSC03956

I am drawn to classic/unique/ironic art and design. The NY Palace delivered.

DSC03950 DSC03952 DSC03960 DSC03964DSC03980 DSC03981

The city really did shut down in preparation for the storm.

(Saturday afternoon on Madison Ave.)

DSC03972 DSC03971

But that didn’t stop us from finding some action on Saturday night.

DSC04027 DSC04032 DSC04013 DSC04017DSC04229 DSC04231

And exploring the (almost) deserted streets.

DSC04038 DSC04040

The bear had his own security guard. Go figure.

DSC04042

Back at the hotel…false alarm. Whew.

DSC04044

Before we were fully aware of the constant food buffets at our hotel, we picked up some potential emergency storm essentials.

DSC04051

Better than the alternative…

DSC04049

I was reminded that hot tea and stormy weather make me sublimely happy.

DSC04008 DSC03934 DSC04085

Stay tuned for even more from our trip to NYC!

20100209204159!Color_icon_yellow

What’s your favorite stormy weather eat or drink?

What about your favorite stormy weather activity?

I like a little of everything – cuddling up inside, playing games, watching movies, and getting outside to explore and feel the weather.

bird blue 2

Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

This is so lovely! That teddy bear is amazing! :-D He’s HUGE! Mmm…being inside all snug and warm during stormy weather is wonderful…my favourite stormy weather food is definitely lots of baked kabocha squash…it’s like comfort (and beta carotene, lol!) on a plate :-) I ate lots of it in new zealand when the weather was dark and dreary in christchurch…perfect cold weather food :-P Must definitely check out Gracefully when Tom and I head to New York…now that it has got the Dorry seal of approval! Your snack stash looks delicious! :-) Have a beautiful day, my friend! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..save the best for last

dorrybird September 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m definitely going to be making lots of squash this fall! I love baked and roasted veggies when the temperatures are cooler. You would LOVE Gracefully, and honestly, you are just going to love Manhattan. So many precious markets and corner shops with all sorts of delicious eats and treats. I only wish we could go back the same weekend you are there!

Jess September 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

LOVE all the cute pics of you and Billy!! Looks like SUCH a blast!!
Jess recently posted..Vroom vroom, beep beep

lindsay September 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

i would have loved to go dance in the rain. Its been so long since I felt it. Looks like an amazing and refreshing trip! and lots of learning!
:P
lindsay recently posted..Hashing it Out

jobo September 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

Great pictures! I love crockpotting when it is stormy. Reading a book. watching a movie! And I LOVE when I find a quality hairdryer at a hotel…rare these days!
jobo recently posted..Dream big, love big, live big.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I love all of your pictures Dorry! The hotel looks incredible — the dog sculptures are hilarious!

I too love a rainy day where I stay inside with a cup of tea and a good book or movie.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tomato Salad & Stuffed Cookies

Mel September 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Great Pics! Next time you go to NYC you should check out City Maps. I use it all the time to help sort through the NYC Bar scene. It’s a great resource, particularly for a visitor. Looks like you had a great time. Sorry about Irene.

Heather (Where's the Beach) September 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Love the honey – too cute!
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Morning Run and Easy Stir Fry

Kristina @ spabettie September 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

you KNOW I love those dogs, even if they are not the wienie variety… and billybee honey!! that is SO great – please say you bought one. you did, right?? :D

I love a warm chai tea on a cold day… and when we travel in the winter, we love to order baileys + coffee on the airplane. stormy weather at home, making a fire and getting cozy with J + B – doing a jigsaw puzzle, watching a good movie, baking or cooking something wonderful…
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..kohlrabi cure all

dorrybird September 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I couldn’t buy one, because we don’t check bags! I knew the TSA would confiscate it, and then I’d cry. Mmmm – chai tea is definitely delicious when it’s chilly outside. I want to come over and do a jigsaw puzzle! Or even a jig, for that matter. Especially if we spiked our chai tea with some rum. :)

Kristina @ spabettie September 5, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I wish we were neighbors…
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..protein berry smoothie

Lisa @ I'm an Okie September 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’d really like to go have dinner with you and billy sometime. You two seem like my kind of people.
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..Healthy Living Summit: Final Thoughts

dorrybird September 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

That’s a compliment to me, Lisa! You would be welcomed with open arms to have dinner with us!

cathy September 3, 2011 at 8:55 am

we have that brand of honey up here, too! hope you got some to take home!
i absolutely love that ceramic dog. what a hoot.
can’t wait to hear more about your trip, dorry! you certainly had a lot of exciting things going on!!
my favourite rainy eve past-time would be watching a movie and being cosy indoors, and watching the weather from the warmth of being INdoors!
cathy recently posted..i told you this would happen + celebrity encounter

dorrybird September 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I wanted to get some to bring home, but we don’t check bags, and I knew TSA would confiscate it at security! I’ll have to look around Dallas and see if they have it here. I’m so excited for cozy nights and cooler temps. :)

JenATX September 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

that bear is a little creepy…:-/ But how cool that you got to see the city so empty? What a rare occurrence huh?

My favorite storm activity: cuddle up with a blanket, my boyfriend, and a book while listening to the rain :)

dorrybird September 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm

It really was a rare occurrence – I love that we were there for it! Especially since there wasn’t a real danger. I love thunderstorms – and falling asleep listening to the rain…

Tropical Eats September 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm

that yellow bear is so crazy! i have a friend who works at the wells fargo right behind it and that’s our meeting spot haha.

love that billy has his own honey named after him teehee.
Tropical Eats recently posted..How To Have a Good Long Run