‘tis the season

December 14, 2011

You know how much I love the lululemon manifesto:

So it only makes sense that I write a holiday season guide-of-sorts based on some of my favorite phrases from the big red & white word collage.

poster_E_red_2008

Stress is related to 99% of all illness.

How to manage holiday stress:

• Make sleep a priority.
  • Eat nourishing meals, but allow yourself the occasional treat. Especially those all-time holiday favorite fresh-baked cookies and homemade pies.
  • Practice yoga! Go for a run. Ride your bike. Dance. Sing loudly. Meditate.
  • Choose a positive thought.

That which matters the most should never give way to that which matters the least.

How to juggle a busy schedule:

• Prioritize. We can do anything, but not everything.
  • Make lists. (Utilize this information-packed post for guidance.)
  • Be flexible. Plans change.
  • Make time for peppermint tea and hot chocolate.

Breathe deeply and appreciate the moment. Living in the moment could be the meaning of life.

How to appreciate the moment:

• Have a meaningful (all technology aside) conversation with your friends and family.
  • Take pictures at parties, events, and family gatherings.
  • Remember why you are celebrating.
  • Look and see. Hear and listen.

red

It’s December 14th. Are you enjoying everyday of the season?

What’s your favorite holiday tradition? Activity? Baking/making?

cathy@1970kikiproject December 14, 2011 at 8:31 am

thanks for the tips, dorry!
i was thinking of you yesterday when i went to lululemon and tried on some clothing!
i manage holiday prep by starting wayyy in advance. shopping was done by the end of november, cards by early december. now, i find it helpful to focus on why we are celebrating (jesus’ birth) and i am really looking forward to time with my family. if we remember that it’s not the perfectly wrapped gifts, the clean house, etc, it helps make christmas merrier and more meaningful!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..balls. and nuts.

Jess December 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

I actually started to get really stressed out last night about the holidays – about all I need to jam into next week to get done for work and then for all the holiday festivities Scott and I are hosting. But then, I stepped back. Remembered the reason behind these celebrations and thought to myself, I’m just stealing the joy right out of this time, now aren’t I? I made a giant to-do list and felt a million times better…and am now back to being fully excited to spend the holidays with loved ones.
Jess recently posted..Race musings, the 2012 edition

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

I feel like I’m not in the holiday spirit yet and usually I am all about it. I think a big part of it is that I am so distracted by moving that I don’t have any of my Christmas decor up. Once I get home on Saturday, I think all of the Christmas feelings will come rushing in. One of my favorite things about Christmas Eve is having a slumber party with my little sister. We have always slept in the same room on Christmas Eve ever since we were little and just stay up chatting all night. :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..wiaw…the last college edition

jobo December 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

make lists! YES! I agree with that one hugely. Helps contain any stress and be organized. And have fun…that is a huge one for me and it’s so easily forgotten in the flurry of obligations and such. I am also planning on lots of pics, conversations and unplugging!
jobo recently posted..On lifestyle changes, an evolving palette, and consistency.

Susan (Oliepants) December 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

I am a huge list person and it makes the world of difference to me!! I have to say my favorite holiday activity is baking. And eating. They pretty much go hand in hand. :)
Susan (Oliepants) recently posted..Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

Heather (Where's the Beach) December 14, 2011 at 9:45 am

Great tips my friend. Love the idea of making lists (of course I just love lists LOL). But yes, prioritize and be flexible!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I have definitely been working on the more sleep one, and it has made a world of difference in my sanity! Same with going to yoga and finding a balance between healthy treats and indulgence. I feel SO good about what is going on right now! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Adapted Recipes: Chana Saag and Peanut Butter Cookies

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

you are a master at gift buying and getting it done early – not my strong suit! :) so glad you are in a place where you can focus on the reason for the holiday. sadly, so many people seem to overlook that part…

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love your attitude! Lists are KEY for my sanity. And yes, stepping back to remember why we’re all shopping, hosting & attending parties, etc., is so important!

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I hear ya! Since I work in retail, I’m highly aware of the holiday shopping season and all of the decorations, etc, but I’m trying to find my own excitement and enjoyment each day outside of work. We don’t have a tree up! But I love all of the Christmas cards we’ve received from friends. :)

I have the best memories of Christmas Eve with my sisters as a kid. It’s so fun to watch my nieces now as they get so excited!

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

lists are key for this Bird. everyday. the wine definitely contributes to the fun, right?? :) I hope you enjoy yourself to the fullest! xo

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

yes, yes they do! and you are a fabulous baker. your cookie recipes always leave my stomach growling. :)

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm

flexibility! not necessarily a natural attribute for me, but I’ve gotten more and more flexible as time goes on. :)

dorrybird December 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love that! I want to be able to say that everyday in life. “I feel so good about what is going on right now!” :) Sleep is my sanity, too. I love 8 hours, can do with 7…

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I completely agree with the stat about illness and stress. When I get really stressed out my IBS gets out of control! Thanks for the tips.
I can’t wait to make some peppermint/chocolate goodies!
janae@hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Great News, Oops and Leaving On Saturday.

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses December 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I’ve been incorporating some holiday themed craft or snack or treat craft into our daily routines. We sing holiday tunes all day and bust a move here and there. I love this season and the best part is the day I divide into three parts—breakfast and shopping with Nat, lunch and shopping with Iz and then dinner and shopping with James. We only go one day and they each have a really small spending limit, but it’s so much fun to watch them choose something for the people they love the most—their siblings. :)