running bird

January 26, 2012

Yesterday someone asked me, “Are you a runner?”

A year ago, while training for my 2nd half marathon, I would have said, “yes!”

Yesterday I said, “Well…I really like to run.”

Both are true, I suppose.

I’m not currently training for any races, so my running workouts aren’t specific, and I’m not necessarily pushing myself in speed or endurance. I just go outside and run.

I love it. And I also loved training for a race, but since I’ve been focusing on other fitness activities, I haven’t been interested in devoting extra time to running.

Until recently. The desire to push myself is starting to seep back in.

And even though August is months from now, one of my goals is to run the lululemon SeaWheeze half marathon. And although our future is a bit up in the air (moving to Vancouver or NYC??!), I just registered for the race!

Untitled-picture1

(source)

Vancouver 8.11.12.

So there’s that! If you want to achieve your goals, you have to make them happen. Take the 1st step. For me, that meant letting go of any doubt, even in the midst of uncertainty, and committing to the goal. Registering for this race. Looking forward.

Formal training to commence in a couple of months.

Til then, I’m just going to keep running.

Are you running any races this year? Other fitness goals?

What’s holding you back?

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 26, 2012 at 8:19 am

I think just loving running is what makes you a runner – not training for races or even racing, just loving it.

jobo January 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

I agree with you and with Heather, loving to run makes you a runner, not a race or anything like that. I like your perspective and chill attitude towards running, that’s what it is all about! And I am excited about your half!!
jobo recently posted..Travel daydreaming

Jess January 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Agree with Heather and my sis – if you love to run, you’re a runner. Race or no race, run because you love it. :)
Jess recently posted..Getting (or trying to get) limber

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 11:22 am

I hate to run, don’t do it, and am definitely not a runner. You, my friend, are a runner! I’m so excited you registered… you go girl!! ;)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Peanut Butter Explosion Chickpea Cookies

lindsay January 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

oh thats awesome dorry! i think it will be a fabulous race for you either way. Can we come? I’ll cheer!
lindsay recently posted..Wino Windsay Wednesday

cathy January 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is great news, dorry! Very funny because my waterloo blogger friend, angela at “eat spin run repeat” blog JUST posted this morning that she has registered for that same race! I am going to (hoping to??!) do a marathon in 2012 in honour of turning 42 in january – 42.2 km race is perfect, no?! Yes I am scared – it’s been a while since my last ‘thon. So thank you for this blog post today – I take courage from your words.

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Training during an NYC or Vancouver summer will be an amazing way to get to know your new city!! :) you are a runner if you want to be a runner, that’s all.

Just went to sign up…might have to budget for that one, hah! Whoa. But I’m hoping it’s a “go”!
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Eggplant: A Fruit, More than a Hue

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm

amen! I want to be a runner for life. :)

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

thank you! I’m excited, too! It will be an awesome race weekend. I’ll have to get into some longer distances for my training runs, but I’m ready for it!

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I wish I could run a race with you!! Or just go for a run and chat. :)

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

My sister hates to run, too – well, one of them. The other likes it. But the one who hates it is an amazing dancer and can’t dance to save my life. :)

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

don’t tease me! that would be amazing if you came to Vancouver! :)

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

so glad you shared that with me! I just went to check out her blog and connect about the half marathon. It’s sure to be a great weekend. love that you’re planning to run a marathon – I know you have it in you! any races on your radar?

dorrybird January 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

that’s what I’m thinking, too! I’ve never trained for a race during the summer – only in the fall and winter. best not to be in Texas for that. :) It’s pricey, but I know it will be worth it. lululemon throws a party and there’s yoga, a concert, and technical clothing (+more I imagine!) included in the fee. keep it on your radar, ok??!

Susan (Oliepants) January 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I have to agree with Heather above – just wanting to run and loving it makes you a runner! :)
Susan (Oliepants) recently posted..Spinach Pesto Omelet

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm

ahh, this is SO exciting! i have my eyes on this race. it would be uh-mazing to run, i’m sure. so, you’re maybe moving to vancouver (where the race is)!?
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..workout wednesday: sexy legs pyramid.

dorrybird February 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

yes! we’re either moving to Vancouver or NYC the 1st week in April. so excited. just waiting to make some decisions about different positions with lululemon in each city. :)