our if/when potential new home, part 1.

February 7, 2012

Hope everyone is having a great week! Last time we chatted, I showed you photos from our 1st 24 hours in NYC. The rest of our long weekend was pretty incredible. Action-packed. Enthusiastic feelings about our potential move here in April, a lot of fun with friends, plenty of sunshine, great food, and time in Central Park.

We went to the 9/11 Memorial on Friday, and saw the Freedom Tower.

DSC06440  DSC06441 DSC06444DSC06445 DSC06453

The memorial is beautiful. Instant tears streaming down my cheeks.

DSC06446 DSC06447

We met some lovely lemons of the lulu variety, enjoyed walking under the blue sky,

DSC06439 DSC06516 DSC06514 DSC06523DSC06545

stayed at The Surrey Saturday & Sunday nights – quite different from the Yotel.

DSC06525 DSC06526DSC06485 DSC06490 DSC06487 DSC06486

view from the rooftop deck.

DSC06552 DSC06556

back tomorrow with more photos, including food and other good things!

red

what’s the most important factor for you when choosing a place to live? such as: proximity to work, safe neighborhood, transit, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, parks, school, etc…

jobo February 7, 2012 at 10:14 am

Beautiful pictures!! Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip! I hope you move to NYC :)
jobo recently posted..When I grow up…I wanna be a barre n9ne instructor!!

cathy@1970kikiproject February 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

ooo, that second hotel looks opulent! that’s the first word that popped into my mind upon viewing your photos! so glad you had a wonderful weekend. i am still very excited to hear about the “potential move” and where you will end up!!
i live in the heart of my city (uptown waterloo) and i absolutely adore it. i can walk everywhere i need to go – movies, groceries, coffee shops, my job, the park, the library…i could go on and on. plus, i just love the vibe. cookie-cutter suburbs are just not for me!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..super madonna sunday

Yolie @ Practising Wellness February 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

Wow, that looks like such a beautiful hotel – so peaceful and pretty – I love the view fromthe rooftop! Check out those beautiful blue skies! <3
In an ideal world, my must haves in choosing a place to live would be…a gym, a yoga studio, close to Lululemon and Trader Joes (or Wholefoods), lots of green space accessible or very nearby, TREES, close to my work and the Kiwi's work…close to family. With a juice bar nearby? Hmmm…what else? I think that's specific enough, lol! Hehehe…no idea where that would be though! :-P You would have such an amazing time living in NYC! I remember going to the memorial last summer- very powerful. Wish the Kiwi and I were adventuring with y'all! ;-) Big love and big SMILES! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Waking up to Yoga

Jess February 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

Gorgeous pics – and I might add: they scream “I LOVE NYC” – which to me means, you ought to move there :) :)
Jess recently posted..Paying it forward – barre n9ne style (or: BIG news!)

Diana February 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

“Lemons of the lulu variety” – love it! :)

I’m glad you enjoyed your trip & jealous that you got to be in NY during the Super Bowl, I bet it was manic in the best way possible!
Diana recently posted..Second City, Third Marathon

Emily February 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Fab hotel! Looks like FUN!

When moving, we follow the job. Is this job right for us? If it’s not, we’ll be miserable.
Emily recently posted..Happy Birthday to my girl!

lindsay February 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

so this will be our if/when guest room too, right?
lindsay recently posted..Sweet as…

Stephanie February 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Before I had children, I could have easily said that I could make home pretty much wherever. Now that I’m getting older and raising children, I need to live close to family. I love where I live, but I think after I retire that I’ll probably be more nomadic.

Casey (The Hippie Health Nut) February 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I love the pics and that hotel is awesome! Safe neighborhood is #1 for me, but a close gym and good food come next. :)
Casey (The Hippie Health Nut) recently posted..My First Nutritionist Appointment

Missy February 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’ve heard that when you are actually at the memorial, “ground zero” you are flooded with this otherwordly presence and spirit…I have heard it is tremendously powerful. Did you get that sense?

By the way, so glad you two lovedoves are having a good time.
Missy recently posted..Where I’m at….Blogwise

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

It was beautiful! Reminded me of a hotel we stayed at in London. Billy and I are very urban and love to walk wherever we can – which is why NYC is perfect for us! :)

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

it was so pretty, and we really lucked out with the gorgeous weather. of course it was a bit chilly for me at times, but I was so thankful! you and I are such similar creatures – I have those same things on my list. :) Whole Foods and lululemon are at the top. And a park! xo

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

And y’all have the most beautifully important job out there as part of a church family. I know the people around you are completely blessed by your presence. :)

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm

haha – yes! I miss you! let’s chat soon – tomorrow maybe? my Thurs/your Fri?

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I know so many things will change for us when we have kids! This is the time we’re just embracing the excitement of a new adventure, but I think about having babies, too. It’s just natural, ya know? :)

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I agree with all of those things! :) I’d love to be able to walk to work, the gym, and the grocery store.

dorrybird February 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

oh, Missy – it was so intense! we were cold and walking quickly to get to the memorial. lines and security check and more walking in the chilly wind…then all of a sudden you’re standing there. and it hits you. and I just had instant tears streaming down my face. then you get closer and begin to hear the rushing water and read the names of each person whose life was taken that day…and the tears stop. and there are a million more emotions from anger to disbelief. I’m so glad Billy suggested we go, and I’ll never forget it.

Missy February 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

Intense!

I just watched the 3D tour. I’ll get there someday.

Missy recently posted..Where I’m at….Blogwise

suki February 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I pick neighborhoods out of convenience – proximity to good transportation options. :) Those are some gorgeous photos. Makes me want to visit NYC again.
suki recently posted..My Travel ABC’s