Dallas to NYC: Day 7

April 11, 2012

I woke up yesterday morning in Williamsburg and went for a run around the campus & through the town. we walked to Aromas for breakfast, then rode our bikes for a bit before getting cleaned up & packing the car.

DSC07384

it was time to head to Washington, D.C., our final stop before New York City.

DSC07389

we didn’t make it to Richmond or Charlottesville this trip…next time!

photo 1

another beautiful driving day, and we passed The Pentagon as we exited the highway.

DSC07385 DSC07386

we picked up lunch at Whole Foods and then got back on the bikes to explore all of the beautiful tourist spots that neither of us had ever seen.

photo 3 photo 2DSC07392 DSC07394

I love the big lawn at the White House.

photo 4

the Washington Monument.

DSC07400 DSC07405photo 1 (2)

from Texas to New York…

DSC07412 DSC07410

there’s so much to see. the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

DSC07414 DSC07417

and the Lincoln Memorial. all of these places are within minutes on the bike.

photo 5 photo 3 (2)

last night we stayed with my friend Heather (of Dietician on the Run), and her equally awesome boyfriend, D. they were incredible hosts, and we had so much to talk about that neither of us ever paused to take any photos. they recently spent a weekend in NYC and had a great time, so we look forward to them coming to visit us soon!

we woke up early and went for a quick run this morning on the Rock Creek Park trails. the hill at the end of our route kicked my butt. hopefully some running in Central Park in the coming months will get me into better hill-shape as I begin training for the SeaWheeze half marathon in Vancouver this August. 121 days away!

now time for some breakfast and more bike riding to check out some sights before we head to our new home. see you in NYC!

jobo April 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

What a fabulous day in DC! You got gorgeous weather, to boot! And a visit with a bloggy friend? SO great!! I can’t wait to visit you in NYC…we will make it happen. SO close, it is so doable!
jobo recently posted..My 6-month run challenge (week 19): being at peace with mileage

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 11:09 am

the weather was spectacular! really for the entirety of the trip. so fortunate! I truly hope y’all will come to NYC sometime, and I was JUST talking to Billy about taking a train to Boston sometime in the coming months. what are the best months weather-wise to visit Boston?

jobo April 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

SO FUN!! Summer months are fabulous of course, but so is early Fall! Leaf peeping and such :) apple picking too! That would be awesome! keep us posted (email me!).
jobo recently posted..A busy life is a good life?

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

Next time we’re keeping you in the District for at least a few days! Wish I was out biking around with you this morning, I hope you guys make it safely to the rest of your site-seeing destinations! ;)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Harpers Ferry: Hiking the Heights

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 11:10 am

yes! we’ll be back for sure, and will have more time to play around D.C. – so much to do & see.

Jess April 11, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am SO jealous you got to hang with Heather! How fun is that?? I LOVE DC — have only been once but I fell in love with it immediately. It’s on my list to return during cherry blossom season – have yet to get there for it but it’s definitely on “the list” of places I need to see again and SOON.
Jess recently posted..And this is how my brain works: revisited.

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 11:11 am

Heather is a total badass, and so much fun to be around. we had a great time – conversation never ended until we finally had to shut up & go to sleep. :) maybe we’ll all meet in D.C. sometime?? :)

Theodora April 11, 2012 at 11:59 am

you’re almost here!
Theodora recently posted..Recommitting Again, Part II

cathy@1970kikiproject April 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

wheeee!!! enjoy the biking!
love the photos of dc – must be so cool to see these sights right up close!
very neat that you got to stay with a blog friend!
best wishes on the last leg of your journey to your new home, dorry!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..java joints with kate and juanita!

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

the memorials & monuments in D.C. are spectacular – so huge and beautiful. it helped that we had bright blue skies!

Stacey | Shine Weight Loss April 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Found your blog through your smoothie recipe on Lululemon’s blog – (http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/my-goodness-my-green-smoothies/).com

Beautiful photos chronicling your journey. That salad looks good. Love Whole Foods!
Stacey | Shine Weight Loss recently posted..How to turn self-neglect into self-respect

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

thanks for the comment, Stacey! we had an incredible trip, and we’re so excited to be in NYC now. I can’t go without Whole Foods for too long.

I have another post going up on the lululemon blog this Friday – hope you’ll check it out. :) xo