happily here

April 12, 2012

yesterday morning, after a quick run, some blogging & breakfast, we said goodbye to Heather & D, and headed to check out the Capitol.

DSC07434 DSC07438

then we decided to go ahead and drive on to NYC. I had butterflies in my stomach the whole time! I also took a half hour bird-nap and woke up feeling exhilarated. ready.

DSC07445

the drive was about 4-hours, and thankfully we had gorgeous skies once again.

DSC07456 DSC07458

tollbooths & bridges galore.

DSC07450 DSC07461 DSC07464IMG_1117 IMG_1118

one last bridge before we pulled into Manhattan. 1 week. 9 cities. 2336.8 miles.

IMG_1119 IMG_1120

several people have asked if we’ve found a place to live. we are incredibly fortunate to have generous, loving friends who are letting us stay at their apartment in the Financial District while we search for an apartment in one of our desired neighborhoods. they recently moved back to Dallas, but their place is still furnished.

unloading the car was interesting. when the luggage cart rolled and attacked Billy, he finally had to tell me to stop taking photos and help. he’s a good sport, that guy.

DSC07478 DSC07479

we filled the luggage cart about 4.5 times.

DSC07480

our temporary, lovely, too-good-to-be-true home while we apartment search.

DSC07482 DSC07483DSC07485 DSC07484DSC07486 DSC07487

they have 3 bedrooms & 3 full baths. #feelingspoiled

the view:

DSC07492 DSC07490

last night, after a quick trip to Whole Foods, we finished unloading the Tahoe, filled it up with gas, and returned it to the rental car place. <—quite a challenge in NYC.

then we really unwound. we took hot showers, cooked dinner in the kitchen (a real treat after a week on the road!), sat on the couch in our pajamas, smiled (and yawned) constantly, and chatted about our transition into this new city life.

I woke up this morning, checked the weather, and quickly decided to go for a run. so I’m off to the West Side Highway. we have a lot going on this weekend – parties with friends, apartment searching, and the Yoga Journal Conference. I miss my Pilates classes in Dallas so I’ll likely hit up SLT like last time we were here in February.

thanks for following along on our road trip! it was one for the books blog.

love,

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

So glad you guys made it safely. Beautiful views. And I had to chuckle about the luggage cart attack and you taking pics ;-) B is a great sport!

jobo April 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

Wow, what a great little place you get to stay in as you apartment search! I wondered where you were going to be living!! I bet it was quite a feat getting everything in and settled but the best feeling to be in your new home!! Enjoy your first day!!!
jobo recently posted..On marriage: more than ‘just’ a piece of paper

lindsay April 12, 2012 at 8:01 am

hooooooray! praying for you all to find a good place. Love you friend. Let’s chat soon. miss you!
lindsay recently posted..30 Minute Thursday: Craving Simple

Danielle April 12, 2012 at 8:02 am

Welcome!!!! Good luck finding a place and getting settled. Your road trip sounded amazing (as expected), but I’m so glad you’re here :)

Marci April 12, 2012 at 8:14 am

So fun to follow your road trip, can’t wait to read about getting settled in NYC. What a great season to move there! I know you’ll take advantage of all you can and explore daily.
Marci recently posted..Comment on A Four Week Update by Hotpotatokate

Jess April 12, 2012 at 9:31 am

Welcome HOME!!!! So very exciting — and what an AWEOME road trip you two had. I love it! I also love the apartment and the generous friends of yours letting you use it until you find your own home. It’s gorgeous!! Hooray friend, enjoy your first few days back in NY!!
Jess recently posted..Because you love it.

Theodora April 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

!!!!!

That is all.
Theodora recently posted..Girls on the Run

Theodora April 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Also, I did that drive approximately 17000 times while living in D.C. and absolutely hate it because it can take anywhere from 4 to (no joke) 10 hours, so I am shocked you made it look so pretty :)
Theodora recently posted..Girls on the Run

cathy@1970kikiproject April 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

that apartment is FABULOUS, dorry! can you *forget* to look for a new place?! haha!
have to laugh that you got photos before helping poor billy – definitely a dedicated blogger move!
i love the pics of the bridges – neat angles!
glad you arrived at your destination safe and sound. now on to the next step – making nyc your home!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..knitting – duh

dorrybird April 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I know, right? many times B has been so patient with me while I’m busy taking photos. and he almost never complains! so blessed to have a patient husband. :)

Dori April 13, 2012 at 6:10 am

WOW that apartment! I want to know more about these friends of yours. And let me know if you want to come to my favorite workout, Refine, with me!
Dori recently posted..Guest Post: 10 Random Things You Don’t Know About Dori

Jess April 13, 2012 at 7:38 am

Welcome to NYC! That is an amazing apartment! Enjoy the Yoga Journal conference and settling in!
Jess recently posted..The “Take a Day Off Dilemma”

Meghan Rene April 13, 2012 at 9:04 am

Welcome back to NYC!! What a beautiful apartment! 3 bathrooms in NYC – is this real life??

I wish I was attending the yoga conference – have fun! Between work appointments, running schedules, and my parents visiting from Boston I couldn’t make it. :(
Meghan Rene recently posted..Happy Friday!!!

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 5:57 pm

we’ve been searching this weekend – some we love, some not so much, but we’re still looking for the right fit. it’s a lot of work, but it will be worth it. :)

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm

you know all about road trips, so I’ll take that as a compliment. ;) we’ve been looking for places the past couple of days, and we’ve seen some good apartments, but still on the search for the right fit. :)

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

thank you, Marci! we have already been so fortunate with great weather since we arrived, and I’m looking forward to spending a lot of time outside over the next couple of months. :)

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm

we are so fortunate to have such generous friends! I am excited to find our own place and get settled in, but I sure can’t complain about my accommodations. I hope you’re having a fantastic weekend! xo

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Heather warned us the drive from D.C. to here could be really long depending on traffic, but thankfully it wasn’t so bad. I want to take the train to D.C. sometime to visit again. and Boston, too!

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm

seriously, it’s such a nice place! the photos don’t even do it justice. I’m excited to find a place to make our own, though. soon, I’m sure!

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I know! it’s pretty ridiculous (< –and amazing). the space is way too big for Billy & me in the long term. we could never furnish it – ha! I’d love to try Refine sometime soon. I start working this Monday, and I’m going to try to get into a good work/workout/transportation/social schedule routine. congrats on your move! I know you must be so excited to live in a bigger space & with your adorable boyfriend. I read his post on your blog (on my iPhone so didn’t comment), but he seems really funny and likable! I’m very happy for you. :)

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm

thanks, Jess! I hope we can get together sometime soon. I know our paths will cross at some point. :)

dorrybird April 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm

thanks, Meghan! it’s great to be here. yes, this apartment is amazing! you can get a lot more space down here in the Financial District, but I feel so far away from everything, so it will be great to find a place of our own. sounds like you have a lot going on this weekend – hope you’re enjoying the gorgeous weather! xo