whipped into shape

April 27, 2012

yesterday I told you about kettlebell kickboxing, and then I went to a class called Whipped at Equinox with another lululemon ambassador, Gregg Cook.

from the website:

Get whipped into shape with the latest in modern fitness training to help you reach for results. No corners to cut – just hard work, sweat and fun using Strength Ropes, Kettlebells, Body Bars and much more, set to the test with a clock, good music and all that you’ve got to give.

the class is held in a big open room, and when I walked in there were huge, thick ropes on the middle of the floor. we got into 5 groups of 5 people for 5 circuit stations, and Gregg demonstrated the exercises we’d be doing at each station. 2 exercises per station, and you repeat the 5 stations twice. make sense?

photo 1 photo 4 photo

the class is high-energy, intense, and the structure of the stations makes the 45 minutes fly by. we used medicine balls, free weights, and the giant ropes. we did plyometrics, a variation on push-ups and side planks, and weighted lunges. basically, we never stop moving, and I love how hard I had to work to keep up with the pace.

I’m sure he switches things up each week so I definitely want to go back!

this was my first time using the ropes (1 of the 5 stations). it looks like this:

CT  sc-health-fitness-whipped CTH FitnessFad12.JPG (source)

pink1

food for thought:

10 ways to keep your workouts exciting – so many great tips, including the ever so relevant, “try a new class”.

the healthiest food in the world – it’s the egg. do you like, love, or loathe eggs?

30% of workers get far too little sleep – in relation to my sleep post on Wednesday

get happier: “say 5 nice things…” – cultivating joy in your life by complimenting others

berries boost brain power – as if I needed another reason to keep eating berries

how inversions can make your mind stronger – I believe it’s time for a headstand

pink1

it’s Friday. I’m heading out for a windy run, then off to work, then to meet Billy for a date. we signed a lease on an apartment, and we move in on May 5th. we’re so excited, and I’ll share more + post photos here on the blog soon.

what do you consider the healthiest food in the world?

enjoy your weekend!

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

Sounds like an intense class. Hope you have a good run and fun date night! So exciting on the apartment too!!
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Hot Run, Hot Fajitas

Claire April 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Congrats on finding your apartment…now the excitement of “setting up home” and starting fun and creative DIY decor projects begins! So happy for you two!

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

yes! and Pinterest is so much fun for decorating/organizing inspiration in small spaces. Can’t wait to get in there this weekend!

Jess April 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

I LOVE all these new workouts you’re trying! Can’t wait for you to try barre :)

Also – YAY YAY YAY on the new apartment!! I can’t wait to hear more about it. Have an AWESOME date with Billy tonight. :)
Jess recently posted..Running + barre: revisited

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve tried a couple of barre classes in Dallas, but I’m excited to check out the studios here, too!

Meghan Rene April 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

Where is your apartment in the city?? Congrats!!!

PS – I have been dying to figure out how to use these ropes in the gym! I am so jeal.
Meghan Rene recently posted..Taking Hints

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

our new place is in Chelsea! we’re so excited to move in and get settled since we’ve still been living out of suitcases a bit. :) the ropes are intense, and such a great workout!

jobo April 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

You move in on Cinco de Mayo, how fun! Don’t know why I even thought of that ;-)
Have fun on your date!!! (and interesting that the egg is the healthiest…I do love eggs though!)
jobo recently posted..M’s quirks.

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

I know! I think we might have to celebrate with tequila and guacamole on Saturday night, right?? :)

lindsay April 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

oh that looks killer! love it! and YEA for APARTMENT!
lindsay recently posted..Thirty Minute Thursday: Tips & Tidbits

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 29, 2012 at 7:11 am

Love it when those classes fly by! I usually have to refrain from wearing any sort of watch during a “boot-camp” style workout, I get too antsy and exhausted.

So excited that you guys found a place! Hope you’re enjoying the weekend free of apartment searching. :)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..This Week’s Missions of Success

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:27 am

this class seriously was over before I knew it. perfect structure for a class. it’s really nice to have the apartment search behind us – now we’re just ready to move in and get settled! (still living out of a suitcase…)