whipped into shape

April 27, 2012

yesterday I told you about kettlebell kickboxing, and then I went to a class called Whipped at Equinox with another lululemon ambassador, Gregg Cook.

from the website:

Get whipped into shape with the latest in modern fitness training to help you reach for results. No corners to cut – just hard work, sweat and fun using Strength Ropes, Kettlebells, Body Bars and much more, set to the test with a clock, good music and all that you’ve got to give.

the class is held in a big open room, and when I walked in there were huge, thick ropes on the middle of the floor. we got into 5 groups of 5 people for 5 circuit stations, and Gregg demonstrated the exercises we’d be doing at each station. 2 exercises per station, and you repeat the 5 stations twice. make sense?

photo 1 photo 4 photo

the class is high-energy, intense, and the structure of the stations makes the 45 minutes fly by. we used medicine balls, free weights, and the giant ropes. we did plyometrics, a variation on push-ups and side planks, and weighted lunges. basically, we never stop moving, and I love how hard I had to work to keep up with the pace.

I’m sure he switches things up each week so I definitely want to go back!

this was my first time using the ropes (1 of the 5 stations). it looks like this:

CT  sc-health-fitness-whipped CTH FitnessFad12.JPG (source)

pink1

food for thought:

10 ways to keep your workouts exciting – so many great tips, including the ever so relevant, “try a new class”.

the healthiest food in the world – it’s the egg. do you like, love, or loathe eggs?

30% of workers get far too little sleep – in relation to my sleep post on Wednesday

get happier: “say 5 nice things…” – cultivating joy in your life by complimenting others

berries boost brain power – as if I needed another reason to keep eating berries

how inversions can make your mind stronger – I believe it’s time for a headstand

pink1

it’s Friday. I’m heading out for a windy run, then off to work, then to meet Billy for a date. we signed a lease on an apartment, and we move in on May 5th. we’re so excited, and I’ll share more + post photos here on the blog soon.

what do you consider the healthiest food in the world?

enjoy your weekend!

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

Sounds like an intense class. Hope you have a good run and fun date night! So exciting on the apartment too!!
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Hot Run, Hot Fajitas

Claire April 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Congrats on finding your apartment…now the excitement of “setting up home” and starting fun and creative DIY decor projects begins! So happy for you two!

Jess April 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

I LOVE all these new workouts you’re trying! Can’t wait for you to try barre :)

Also – YAY YAY YAY on the new apartment!! I can’t wait to hear more about it. Have an AWESOME date with Billy tonight. :)
Jess recently posted..Running + barre: revisited

Meghan Rene April 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

Where is your apartment in the city?? Congrats!!!

PS – I have been dying to figure out how to use these ropes in the gym! I am so jeal.
Meghan Rene recently posted..Taking Hints

jobo April 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

You move in on Cinco de Mayo, how fun! Don’t know why I even thought of that ;-)
Have fun on your date!!! (and interesting that the egg is the healthiest…I do love eggs though!)
jobo recently posted..M’s quirks.

lindsay April 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

oh that looks killer! love it! and YEA for APARTMENT!
lindsay recently posted..Thirty Minute Thursday: Tips & Tidbits

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run April 29, 2012 at 7:11 am

Love it when those classes fly by! I usually have to refrain from wearing any sort of watch during a “boot-camp” style workout, I get too antsy and exhausted.

So excited that you guys found a place! Hope you’re enjoying the weekend free of apartment searching. :)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..This Week’s Missions of Success

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

yes! and Pinterest is so much fun for decorating/organizing inspiration in small spaces. Can’t wait to get in there this weekend!

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve tried a couple of barre classes in Dallas, but I’m excited to check out the studios here, too!

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

our new place is in Chelsea! we’re so excited to move in and get settled since we’ve still been living out of suitcases a bit. :) the ropes are intense, and such a great workout!

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

I know! I think we might have to celebrate with tequila and guacamole on Saturday night, right?? :)

dorrybird April 30, 2012 at 11:27 am

this class seriously was over before I knew it. perfect structure for a class. it’s really nice to have the apartment search behind us – now we’re just ready to move in and get settled! (still living out of a suitcase…)