a moving weekend

May 7, 2012

while I was at work on Saturday, Billy (with the help of a friend) moved all of our belongings from point A to point B, and our new bed was delivered. by bed, I mean mattress, which is on the floor until we get our platform bed frame.

it’s a work in progress, of course. our couch and chair will be here this week, and we have a TV hooked up with cable and internet. well, the wireless internet isn’t exactly working, but it should be very shortly according to Time Warner.

we went to sleep Saturday night in our new apartment after eating a homemade Mexican meal on the floor. that was our Cinco de Mayo celebration!

in the midst of working and the move, we managed to do/see/play this weekend:

in photos, per usual:

while running errands on Friday, we stumbled upon the 1st day of Mad Sq. Eats, a lineup of sweet and savory food vendors with shaded tables to sit and relax. Billy had a beer, I had a glass of wine, and we were off to continue mattress shopping.

DSC07943 DSC07945 DSC07935 DSC07948 DSC07952 DSC07960

we’ll definitely go back this month!

a few shots of the new place just after we got everything inside Saturday afternoon.

DSC07971  DSC07976 DSC07979

although our apartment faces north, we get an abundance of natural light being up on the 16th floor with no building obstructions. we are very happy here!

DSC08022 DSC08024

we met some friends for brunch yesterday at Elephant & Castle. great food, cute atmosphere, reasonable prices, quick service once we were seated.

DSC07995 photo 2 photo 3

it was a gorgeous day so we put off running our errands for an hour or so and walked the high line with our friends. we had some sorbetti and took our time…

photo 4 photo 5DSC08011 DSC08021

then it was off to Bed, Bath & Beyond to buy things like showers curtains, bath mats, and hangers. once we learned that they deliver for $15, we decided to load up on everything from laundry detergent to a new vacuum. our purchases arrived, and it felt like Christmas. we spent last night getting things somewhat organized. I captured this smiling photo of Billy, but the whole Bed, Bath & Beyond trip really did him in. he passed out on the bed the minute we walked in the door for a quick nap. zzzz.

photo 1 (2) photo 2 (2)

and now it’s a brand new week! by next weekend, I hope to have all of our furniture. in the meantime, we’re enjoying the nesting process (no, I’m not pregnant, just a reference to being a Bird.) I’m off for a run. new neighborhood, new sights to see.

furniture shopping – love it or hate it?

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

Oh love that apartment space. So light and airy. As usual, I just love the recap in pictures.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Life is to be Enjoyed

Jess May 7, 2012 at 8:25 am

I LOVE your new home!! All the natural light, vaulted ceilings and wide open spaces? Gorgeous!! Welcome home for real my dear, so very cool!
Jess recently posted..13.1 goal: crushed.

jobo May 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

LOVE your new place! looks so sunny and the floors are just awesome. Do I spy pinkberry?? I finally got to Boston and was so excited to get some, BUT the line was snaking around the corner, and I bypassed it instead. Sad face. I will get some though, hehe! ;-)
jobo recently posted..Throwbacks on comparison and number fixation.

cathy@1970kikiproject May 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

oh, dorry, your apartment looks fantastic. welcome to your new home!
laughing at poor billy after bb & b…poor guy!
so happy for you and the joy you are finding every day in nyc. that is fabulous.
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..it’s too bad there are only 26 letters in the alphabet

Kris May 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

oh, so happy for you in your High Up Daylight Nest :D

furniture shopping – I LOVE it! we did some of that this weekend, without buying anything yet… we both know what we want, and will not find it at the “normal” stores, so we are going to the fun places with hip and funky originals… I am the girl who had a Tiffany Blue leather couch in college, after all… ;) the only new thing so far is our bed (purchased + delivered after ONE night on the air mattress (our furniture is being delivered this week, yeee!), and a new ‘pub set’ for our kitchen area.

enjoy the brand new week – it is gorgeous sunny here, and will reach a perfect 80 degrees today! Basil and I are excited about that – we send you big love and wags! XO
Kris recently posted..pass the mic

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:54 am

thank you for this comment! I’m with you on the “normal” stores – we’ll ge ta few things that are normal, but I’m looking for a couple of colorful standout pieces to make the space unique. we’re actually headed out this afternoon to check out some different stores. I hope you are having a great time getting settled into your new home!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

You moved in!!!! WAHOOO!! Mattress on the floor…sounds fun:) One of the most important things for me when looking for a place to live is natural light without it I feel like I live in a dungeon! Looks beautiful Dorry!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run May 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

Your place looks so gorgeous! Huge kudos to BB&B for delivering, what an awesome service – whether you’re in NYC or not! So happy for you two :)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Broad Street 10 Miler: Run Down & Out

Nichole May 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Your place is absolutely stunning. The light and the hardwoods have my heart.

Now hurry up and make that place a home:)

So glad you’re loving every NY minute!

lindsay May 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

loooove it! hope there is a spare room for us to visit…. indefinitely. hehe. Good luck tomorrow friend!
lindsay recently posted..A “Whoa” Weekend

OliePants May 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I love your new space!! And I love love the natural light!
OliePants recently posted..Oreo Cake with Oreo & Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Petra May 10, 2012 at 9:06 am

what a gorgeous apartment – and love the food updates.
Petra recently posted..A month of firsts