#fitblognyc

May 10, 2012

After spending yesterday with a bunch of tweeting fitness bloggers, I’m thinking and speaking in hashtags today, so I might as well keep it up. #isthatcoolwithyou?

Fitness Magazine hosted the Fitness Bloggers Tweet & Meet yesterday, and I’ve been looking forward to it since before we left Dallas. I knew it would be a great chance to meet a bunch of bloggers in New York City, and say hello to some familiar faces.

IMG_1297

The doors opened at 9:00am, and the 1st scheduled panel began at 10:00am. We spent the first part of the morning circulating to visit with all of the sponsors. There was a breakfast table with a variety of breads and spreads plus juice, coffee, tea, etc.

photo

Mia Hamm was at the event signing mini soccer balls. I got one for Billy. #madehisday

IMG_1299 IMG_1303

The lunch buffet was beautiful and everything tasted fresh and delicious. I went back for more fruit. I can’t resist fruit salad when strawberries and grapes are involved.

IMG_1304 IMG_1305

One of the highlights of my day was spending time with Caitlin from Caitlin Lives Well – a blogger and lululemon co-worker. I adore her.

grams

There was a panel on Carbs, Cleanses, and Caffeine, and one on Gym to the Streets: Fashion Tips That Will Help You Stretch Your Spandex Beyond the Gym.

IMG_1301 IMG_1308

Other panels included Easy Beauty Secrets with Laura Geller, and How to Turn Your Blog into a Business with Tina from Carrots ‘N’ Cake, Julie from Peanut Butter Fingers, Carla from MizFit Online, and Kelly Olexa, the founder of FitFluential.

IMG_1309 IMG_1310

I loved all of the panels. They were entertaining and interactive with lots of questions and answers. Once the panel portion was finished, we had a break before the pop-up fitness class sponsored by KiwiSweat. I snacked on raw almonds I had in my bag (don’t leave home without ‘em!) and Sun-Maid raisins, one of the sponsors.

IMG_1302 IMG_1311

The high-energy, 45-minute class was taught by Reign Hudson, and we did a mix of African Dance and Kickboxing. It was 100% as awesome as it sounds, and everyone worked up a good sweat. The class ended with a quick, intense abs workout. I wish I had pictures of the class to post, but there were a bunch of people watching us and taking photos, so I’m sure they will make their way online sooner or later.

The event took “swag” to another level. There was quite a buzz all day about how sincerely grateful everyone was for all the awesome gifts.

IMG_1315 IMG_1312 IMG_1317 IMG_1319IMG_1316 IMG_1318 IMG_1313IMG_1320 IMG_1321

Besides the delicious food and ridiculous swag, the best part of the day was meeting so many great bloggers and getting to know people I’ve “known” online through Twitter, Instagram (dorrybird), blogs, Facebook, etc. #socialmedianerdheaven

I feel spoiled, humbled, inspired, and so thankful to all of the organizers and sponsors who hosted this incredible event. Can we please do it again next week??

Have you ever attended a blogger event/retreat/summit/get together?

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 10, 2012 at 7:23 am

So cool! I would have loved to have been there. I’ve never been to any blogger conference. Only met a handful of other bloggers even.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Date with Gym and Why I Run

Claire May 10, 2012 at 7:54 am

Wow, that really is amazing swag!! You’re so locally involved already and you’ve only just moved there! #awesomedorrybird

lindsay May 10, 2012 at 8:06 am

oh i wish i was there! i love this recap! so amazing and i miss you even more. and kiwi sweat is the coolest thing ever, i love the name you know.
lindsay recently posted..Wrong Backdrop

Ali May 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

So great to finally meet you and chat for a while! So glad you’re in NYC!

Petra May 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’ve never been to a blogging conference but have met plenty of fellow bloggers – have run races with them, have stayed with them (have had them stay with me as well) – it has been wonderful. The more the better – these networks work!
Petra recently posted..A month of firsts

Casey (The Hippie Health Nut) May 10, 2012 at 9:16 am

How fun! Thanks for sharing- I saw all the hashtags for this yesterday, so it’s nice to have a recap. :)

Jess May 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

It looks like a pretty unreal event to me — would’ve loved to have been part of it! So glad you got to enjoy the panels, the people, the food, and the swag – so very cool!!
Jess recently posted..Self-reflection.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie May 10, 2012 at 11:18 am

That looks like it was an amazing time!! Do you feel like you learned a lot from the how to turn your blog into a business forum? I would have loved to go to that!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Presents from the Post Man

jobo May 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

That looks SO FUN! And the swag? Totally unreal! Your lunch looks awesome too! I dove into the fresh fruit at the conference I’m at this week! So good! Can’t resist fresh berrries ;)
jobo recently posted..My 6-month run challenge (weeks 20-22): on run-volutions and ruminations

@twinsistersrun May 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Paige @ Running Around Normal May 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Looks like such an awesome event :)
I love your scarf!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Here’s Your Sign

Emily Hudspeth May 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Wasn’t that the most fun day ever! I got the same bag. I love your blue B-stocks. I got the brown ones and love them too. Everything was so great, what was not to love.

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

I wish all of the FitFluential ambassadors could have been there! It was a really cool event, and hopefully you can attend one in the future!

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:24 am

still feeling very spoiled, and excited to see what other fitness & nutrition adventures come my way! happy mother’s day to you, Claire! xo

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:24 am

I thought of you with the KiwiSweat name! You and Yolie. :)

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:25 am

thanks, Ali! hope to see you again soon! your nephew is adorable! I’m an aunt to 3 nieces + 1 nephew, and it’s the best thing in the world.

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

bloggers are good people! :) it’s always fun to meet people when you feel like you already know them.

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m sure the hashtags and tweets were continuous all day! Glad you liked the recap. :)

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

I wish you could have been there! It was a great event -very organized, and the sponsors were obviously incredibly generous!

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:34 am

they spoke about tips on how to get started with freelance writing (like starting local), and reaching out to companies and magazines to promote your brand/blog. they also talked about dealing with rejection and just continuing to write great content on your blog – how none of them started blogging with the intention to make it a career, but with dedication, their readership numbers grew. Tina said that your blog is like an active resume, and you should be publishing your best content all the time! :)

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

I wish you could have been there!! I’m so with you on the fresh fruit – when it’s at a buffet, I can’t really get enough! :)

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

thanks! it’s the vinyasa scarf from lululemon. :)

dorrybird May 13, 2012 at 8:37 am

it was such a fun day! I’m still thinking about it, and wish we could do it again this week. :) I love my Birkenstocks – they are so comfortable!

Caitlin May 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

Ah I adore you too! So lucky to know you and spend time with you – thanks for the goal chats, you are the best. Let’s get together for that dinner soon! xo
Caitlin recently posted..Thoughts from the Week: