the canvas

May 31, 2012

last year, I started a “30 before 30” list. included on that list was to paint a piece of art on a canvas. despite the fact that some friends at lululemon give me a canvas, I set it aside and never actually busted out my tube of purple paint.

when we were preparing for our move to NYC at the beginning of April, I gave the canvas to one of my sisters so my niece could use it. at least it wouldn’t go to waste!

you’ll imagine my reaction when I found out during my 1st week at the new job that our team was going to a painting class together as our seasonal outing.

after work yesterday, we headed to Paint Along, a BYOB, step-by-step painting class.

IMG_1870 IMG_1869

when you sign up for a class online, their calendar shows an image of which painting is assigned to each time slot. we painted “poppies at sunset”. the environment is very casual, and we were able to listen to our own music and take breaks for wine chats.

the teacher stood at the front and painted with us as she explained the process.

IMG_1872

we each had our own canvas, paint pallet, brushes, and organic red wine.

IMG_1871 IMG_1874

the wine kicked in when my perfectionist tendencies showed up.

IMG_1875 IMG_1876 IMG_1877 IMG_1879

this was one of my favorite experiences in a long time. I’d love to take Billy!

pink1

several people have asked how I’m liking my new position. in a nutshell, I’m loving every minute. there’s no greater feeling than loving what you do, and looking forward to going to the office every morning. Integrative Nutrition has created a uniquely supportive and beyond enjoyable work environment with generous benefits.

I’m settling in and getting to know people, but it still feels too good to be true. I’ve heard that the feeling remains, and if anything, strengthens with time.

I’ll be appreciative everyday.

have you ever been to a painting class? or pottery, etc?

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 31, 2012 at 7:56 am

I think that could be really fun. Though, I’d probably be pretty intimidated to be honest. I have zero artistic skills!

kate March 14, 2014 at 7:02 pm

They literally tell you step by step how to do every single part of a painting. EVERYTHING, there is a no-fail thing going on, and the teacher has painted the painting many, many times. Last night I went to one, for the first time. when it was time to make the vase opening for our flowers, she said “draw an unhappy face” (single curved line, that looked like a frown), and then said “now draw a happy face, under that.” I yelled out “do we connect the ends?” So they laughed and she said “yup, good question”. It’s really easy, though for me, rushed. Ours was 2.5 hours, and we were supposed to only go 2, but she was nice and let us finish. It’s a really good idea for a work outing event, never thought of that!!

Shaunna Ulrick May 31, 2012 at 8:42 am

I just tuned into your blog recently and am turning 30 soon too. A 30 in 30 list is something I want to compile and am curious if you have shared your whole list and if not, if you would be willing to….I need ideas :)

jobo May 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

I have zero artistic skills too, but it does look like a lot of fun! you are a natural! And I bet your job makes you smile every day. That’s the best, when you know it’s the right mix of work and passion :)
jobo recently posted..On the Importance of time and priorities.

Petra May 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

Love that picture – it’s lovely. What a fun thing to do together. Great to hear that you love your job so much – it sounds perfect.

Jess May 31, 2012 at 10:14 am

You have SKILLZ my dear! Such a beautiful canvas!! I would love to try this sometime, even if my own skillz leave much to be desired ;-)

I am SO SO SO happy that this job is already proving to be the exact right move for you. Soak it all in my dear, this is your time!
Jess recently posted..(run)Streaking

Kris May 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

I LOVE this idea… and have been envious of friends in other cities who do this. I finally found one in Portland (um, a friend from another city found it… in MY city), and we are going soon! :D
Kris recently posted..tomato orange soup

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run May 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm

These places are so much fun! D & I are doing a date-night at one in downtown DC next month – I can’t wait :)
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Cross-Country Weekend: San Diego Days

Clare May 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

OH my gosh that’s beautiful Dorry! Professional! Love that IIN does those outings:)
Clare recently posted..Outfit 5.31.12 {Wavy}

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm

THAT IS SERIOUSLY SO SO COOL!!! I would love to do something like that…wow. You are so artistic!

Camille May 31, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Your painting is amazing!! I love it! I have painted pottery before and I think it’s really fun too (even though it can be pricey). But I had gone for a work party as well and we had food and wine too. So glad the new job is going well. Really happy for you girl!
Camille recently posted..Eat your fruit and veggies-part 2

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats June 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

How fun! :) I have been to a pottery paint night before. It was really relaxing to just hang out, paint some pots, and have a glass of wine!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..showing gratitude